Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
cowboymommy
Casting On

help with beginner baby blanket
Hi everyone! Brand newbie here. I just finished up my first dishcloth project and am wanting to move onto something for my impending arrival I know and feel comfortable with CO, knitting, purling, knitting and purling in the same row, and BO. That is the extent of what I have done.

I like the look of this blanket alot.
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/ba...by-blankt.html

A few questions... I am brand new to increasing, haven't done it all yet. Just watched videos. I am hoping by watching the how to videos, I can figure it out as I go. I am not sure I understand the terminology on increasing in this pattern though. Can someone help me decipher? Is it saying that on row 3 I should be increasing on the next to last stitch of the row? And then the next to last stitch on every odd row thereafter? Is that right?

On circular needles... I have only used straights. From what I understand, I need to do this on circulars and just pretend I am knitting with straights? You just do the exact same thing with flipping your work over to start a new row that you would do on straights, etc...?

Lastly for now. I don't understand how you change your yarn color in the middle of a project without having to CO all over again and then basically having two separate projects. How does that work? Do you cut your yarn from the old skein and then tie the new skein on or something?

Also, if you think this blanket is too challenging for a newbie, please say so. I really like the look of multi colored blankets and that was the main reason for being drawn to this pattern. If you have another suggestion, I am open to that, too.

Thanks so much
cowboymommy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hey there!

For your increasing question--yep you have that exactly right--increase one stitch in from the edge on each end of the 3rd row and then every odd row after that (so in other words, every other row).

On the circular needle-- you also have that right. Just flip the work around to start the next row. The reason you want to use circulars for a project like this is so you don't have a bunch of stitches bunched up on your straight needle. It's easier on your wrists too, because the weight of your work is balanced in the middle of the circular needle.

About changing the color--what I do is, at the row where the color is changed, I just start knitting with the new color, and then cut the old color, leaving about a 4 inch tail. (You also want to have a tail with the new color). I tie a loose square knot. Then after I knit a few rows past the color change, I weave in the tails. You can also knit a few stitches together when joining new yarn, but that can look a little funny with color changes.

I don't think this blanket is too challenging! It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of the basics and understand enough to do this pattern, so go for it!

EDIT--I left out some important words in the first paragraph--I added them in in blue text.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis

Last edited by Marria : 12-16-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Left out words!
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
cowboymommy
Casting On

Thank you so much, Marria. That helps a bunch.

The pattern isn't specific as to the type of increase so I am not sure exactly how to perform the increase. When a certain type isn't specified is there something that is considered "standard" or "default" like a YO?

I am still having a hard time understanding the changing color thing. My brain just doesn't want to wrap around it for some reason. So, if I have finished a row and the next row calls for a color change, would I tie a loose knot of the new color to the working yarn of the old skein? And then knit both for a few stitches until I can cut the yarn to the old skein? I am not sure if I am understanding or not.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

You're welcome!

If the pattern doesn't specify a type of increase, then you can use whatever you want. You could use a yarn over, but it would make a little hole where you use it (although that may actually look cool with this pattern!)

For this, I'd probably use a knit into front and back increase. There are videos for all kinds of increases here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

EDIT--oops forgot to answer your question about the color changes

Don't tie the yarns together before starting out. Instead, insert your needle into the next stitch, but instead of wrapping the yarn around, wrap around with the new yarn. Does that make sense?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
cowboymommy
Casting On

Yes, that makes sense!!

I think I have the info I need to get started!! I am sure I will be back once I am underway

Thanks again!!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Marria
Working the Gusset

Awesome! I'm sure it will turn out great.