Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
pattirudi23
Casting On

attaching crochet to fabric for cushion cover
hello,

I am trying to make a cushion cover with a large granny square and fabric. I want to sew the granny square onto the fabric on the front of the cushion.

I just wonder if anyone has any hints or tips for me - I'm thinking about potential sag over time and how I can avoid that.

I was going to make the cover up and then sew on the granny square around the edges (with some fabric border - around 1/2 inch) and also think I need to sew some of the inner part of the granny square to the fabric to avoid sag. I realise I need to sew it on quite tight to start with.

Very grateful for any advice! - Should I make the cover first or sew on the granny square first? Not entirely sure where to start....

Thank you!
pattirudi23 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
MGM
Turning the Heel

What a great idea! Make sure you take a picture to show us when you are finished.

I would cut the pieces for the cover, then sew the granny square onto the front piece, then sew the cover together. Definitely tack the granny square every 2 inches or so onto the fabric so that it won't some loose. I would use thread matched to the color of the granny square and just take a small stitch up on one side of the yarn, over it and down the other side, about every 2 inches or so all over the whole granny square. I would also stitch around the entire square in a close running stitch or whip stitch to secure the edges.

Don't forget that picture!

Hope this helps.

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
pattirudi23
Casting On

MGM, thanks for your suggestion, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.. and will try and work out how to upload pictures of the finished project!

Thanks again
pattirudi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

sewing cushion
I would sew the square on all the way around and then use some of the yarn and sew it in place to give the cushion the quilted look. I wouldn't do it every inch but maybe every three inches. How about a bias strip all around the out side edge?
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote