Old 12-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
My father was one of 18 kids so it doesn't seem strange to me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #22
feministmama
Instepping Out

All I can think of is OUCH!!!!
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #23
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Ginny, one of my best friends is one of sixteen. Her parents are the sweetest people, and her brothers and sisters are all happy, productive, adults. Not one of them in jail, and when something happens to one of them, the rest pitch in to help them out. They 'adopted' me, I come from a family of two that couldn't pull it together to raise us right.

I've always admired large families.

Quote:
Wow Tropic--I would have pegged you for older from your maturity. Your parents are lucky to have y
Too true, and she writes well, also.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-28-2008), Tropicflower24 (12-29-2008)
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I did not mean to imply that they would not be good people or would not become happy productive adults. But it is simply not possible to give 18 children the individual love and attention and one on one time that a child needs and deserves. I have no doubt they are good people.

But, as they have made a point of on the show, the younger children are often cared for by the older children. That may teach the children responsibility but it also shifts the parenting burden from parent to child. I am not against large families, but 18 children is "institutional" size and I do not believe anyone would argue that an institution is an appropriate way to raise a child.

As a twin and member of a large family (with loving capable parents) who in turn had only two children I know that I was able to give my children individually more of myself than my parents were ever able to give me.

"Back in the day" there were many reasons for excessively large families; religious beliefs, lack of appropriate birth control, lack of education, the fact that many children died early in life, and our agricultural society supported the need for large "families" to work the farm. Those reasons no longer apply and although I am sure there are many from large families who are perfectly well adjusted my opinion is that it is socially irresponsible and not in the best interest of the children.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #25
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Is that about the 18 kids and counting show on tlc? If so, it's 19 kids and counting Yeah, they have great control on the kids and they're all very grounded and good people. I've seen a few of the shows and they actually live near me. I saw the show where they try to knit up stuff for the newborn and totally screw up rofl! I wanted to reach out and help them but they're impossible to get a hold of... I think due to their popularity from the show. The best I ever got was a reply that seemed like it was written just to reply to people, so they're not rude, you know. I think I drive past the car dealership every day that I go to Walmart or Ozark Natural Foods for groceries.

Also, I worked with a guy who had 18 siblings when he grew up. He said they did cloth diapers because plastic was way too expensive. They also had to clean all their own diapers... eww! In that situation, I'd do the same, though...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Moku..this post is about 3 yrs old. How'd you dig up such an old post?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #27
HSRCampbell
Ribbing the Cuff

Probably a search. The searches on here default to every thread ever, which goes back like 6 years apparently. Thread necromancy is easy to do when you see someone posted something interesting and don't see the date. I have to be really careful not to reply to threads that are years old.
HSRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
Lol, no, it was at the top, I swear! I haven't even done a search on here yet, so I don't know how to do that yet...
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #29
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I could swear I saw another post before Moku's. It didn't make much sense so it would've likely been deleted. I commend the family for keeping sanity in all that noise! I go nuts with only three kids sometimes, I can't fathom the noise of 16 more!

I think there's a way in the forum to have the oldest posts at the top instead of the newest, but that still wouldn't bring up this one.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Maybe some spam brought it to the top and when it was deleted it stayed there...although I've never noticed that happening. Weird.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote