Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
sorifes
1st Leg of the Journey

Woo yay new spindle!
I got to pick out my christmas present with my mom cause she has NO idea about spindles so I went to the local fiber store and she had beautiful spindles! I got a pretty one made out of walnut and maple and it spins so nice (store owner let me test it). But I think the best part about my trip was I learned something new not to mention got a little paper to join the spinners and weavers guild I'm so excited! I'm gonna sign up and can't wait to go!
sorifes is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Awesome! I have actually been thinking about trying out spinning with a spindle...(like I need another hobby )...

Can you tell me a little about the differences between what you can do with a spindle vs. what you can do with a wheel? I am curious about spinning but know nothing, and I'm wondering if it is worth getting into right now, because a spindle is all I can really afford any time soon.

Thanks!
Marria

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

The short answer is: you can do anything with a spindle that you can do with a wheel. A wheel lets you do it about three times faster, though.

Some expert spinners say that a spindle is better for spinning fine (laceweight) yarn and a wheel is better for producing sweater weights. But this is just a generality: by using the right size spindle and adjusting your speed, you can make worsted on a spindle, and by adjusting your wheel, you can spin finer yarn.

I have only been spinning for a couple of months, exclusively with spindles, and I find it very different from knitting. It's more physical, more sensory. You need to pay attention when you're spindling but you don't have to think: it's a great stress-reducer.

For an introduction to spindling, look for youtube videos by Abby Franquemont -- she's one of the best. Or get one of these books:
Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts or Spin It by Lee Raven. Or check the Spindlers group on Ravelry.
Marria (12-25-2008)
Old 12-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

As knitasha said, a wheel is just a faster way of spinning. If you want to get even faster than a wheel, you can upgrade to an electric spinner.

I'm no expert on spinning (spindling for 10 years, spinning for 6 years) but I don't agree that a spindle is better for laceweight and a wheel better for worsted weights.

The weight (thickness) of yarn that can be spun on a spindle will depend on the weight of your spindle and how you draft your fiber.

With the wheel, it again depends on how you draft your fiber and the flyer & bobbin whorl sizes you use.

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
Marria (12-25-2008)