Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
thewingedwitch
Casting On

Stitch N' Bitch Manly Sweater neckband- so confused!
Hello everyone- I just joined a moment ago because I'm desperate for help on this pattern, lol.

I'm making the Manly Sweater from Stitch n' Bitch, and I'm about to start knitting the neckband. The pattern reads:

"With RS facing, B and smaller needle; pu and k 35 sts up right front, 4 sts down back neck, 23 sts from back holder, 4 sts up back neck, 35 sts down left front- 101 sts."

I've read this over and over and I absolutely cannot understand what it's telling me to do. I have bound-off stitches for the front of the neck- am I supposed to knit into them somehow? The pattern doesn't say anything about stitching the neckband to the neck during finishing. I was going to just improvise by knitting the neckband and then stitching it to the neck later, but that doesn't work either because I'd have to cast on, then switch to the stitches from the back holder in the middle, and then switch back... right?

I'm not explaining this very well, so I'd probably need help from someone familiar with the pattern. Thank you so much for any help!
thewingedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Hi! What it is telling you to do for the neck band is to pick up and knit stitches around the neck. There is a video on this site which demonstrates how to do it:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

and scroll down to "Picking Up Stitches".

You will pick up the number of stitches it tells you from your bound off edge around the neck also incoroporating the "live" stitches you have on hold for the back neck.

HTH,
Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You pick up stitches from those on the neck and on the holder at the back, then knit them for the neckband. That's how it's attached to the sweater, not knit separately and sewn on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
thewingedwitch
Casting On

Oh, thank you so much! I knew it had to be something simple after I googled it and no one else in the history of knitting had ever had the same question, lol. You two have saved my life- I'm trying to finish this sweatshirt for Christmas Thank you!
thewingedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote