Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

Head lice...
My middle daughter has head lice. Ugh...she had been itching and I thought it was just dry scalp, her hands get really dry during the winter. Nope, the little "things" are in her hair. I had to take all 3 of them to Target to buy the stuff to get rid of them and new brushes, etc. Tomorrow we get to go to Walmart for new pillows and bags to put all their stuffed animals in. Oh and no school tomorrow for them either...I get to get them in to the Dr. for a diagnosis (I have to send in a note to the schools when they are home from a fever or puking and I get that note by talking to a nurse) and I get to start washing EVERYTHING also...I HATE head lice...

Oh, they need to get their hair cut anyway so I am gonna see about getting her (middle daughter) cut shorter, she has very thick hair and it might be easier for both of us if is was shorter. That is after I done with this crap...

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
Ugh is right. It's such a pain! My daughters had very long hair so it was extra hard coming through it with that tiny comb! Thank goodness I only had to go through this once.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 12-11-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

When I was a kid I had to be in daycare a lot, single mom and all, and I got lice a lot. It really is a trial for all.
then when I got our cat Itchy, he brought fleas into the house. Karma I guess.
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Oh no! What a yucky thing to deal with!

I'm so sorry...

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

My sister works in daycare and she told me that when the directors discussed the fact that head lice was going on in the center they said that lice like clean hair so it might be a good idea to not wash your hair for a few days or until they can get the little pests (the lice not the kids) cleared out. I did not know that. You think keeping yourself clean would repel them, but it's the exact opposite.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Oh feel the pain of those litter buggers. My daughter had them and did not itch at all. I found out while having her hair cut. Thank goodness I knew the hairdresser real well. Still was embarrassing though. after doing what you are doing she never had long hair again. It was a nightmare combing out her hair.

I think as parents we all been there.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Lavendar is supposed to be a good deterrent to lice. I spray lavender water in my girls' hair every day. I don't know if it really works or if we're just lucky, but despite many rounds of lice at school, we've never gotten it. Just thought that might help after you get it cleared up.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
When my daughter was little, she got it by putting on another little girl's hat. It upset me so bad. I hate the thought of those little things crawling on her head. I had to bring a lamp into the bathroom to see well enough to comb out her long hair. I had to do this twice. We bagged up all of her toys. The stuff ruined her hair. Oh yeah, and then you feel like you have them yourself, because you imagine feeling little things crawling on you. YUK!!
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
ok
I do this for a living, working as a nurse in a summer camp
and having kids of my own

Robi Comb, helps find critters, does not stop u from having to pick nits, but it does help track down creepy crawly ones
the only comb I like is the terminator, it seems to do a great job of knocking the eggs loose, and is worth every penny. the other combs are basically just for seperating hair so U can see the root to find the nits, no matter which comb U use U still have to find the nits and remove them

the thing about dirty hair is somewhat right, I find my staff that uses thick hair gel (like a high mohawk or the wet look) keep their heads clear, the ones that only shower once a week still get some, but that is anecdotal

when I am treating a head, I get some denorex max strength and add 2 tsp of tea tree oil to it (it DOES tingle quite a bit) I use this whenever I go substituting at school, and when I M treating a head.

Mayonnaise does work well, but it is Very Icky and a bear to wash out after sitting an hour or 3 in the hair, and U really have to goop it on. Vegetable oil is easier on the kid, and does tend to smother the bugs.
another alternative is Lysterine, but again U need to soak the hair quite a while, and comb through a bit
After which ever one of these U want to use, soak the head in white vinegar, it does not kill the hair so badly, and it denatures the protein in the eggs so they come loose easier, U soak the head a while, then rinse it out well and let it dry all the way
then the eggs come loose a lot easier

if U want U can call me, just let me know and I will PM U my #
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb

Last edited by ecb : 12-11-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added a BUNCH of links
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
Marria (12-25-2008)
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
figaro
Working the Gusset

I am so tired...I have treated the 2 girls in school. Washed their bedding and am working on the clothes part. I bought 2 complete elimination kits (shampoo, gel and some furniture spray) and had to use the gel part from both of them for the middle kid, her hair is so thick! So, had to throw her coat in the dryer for 20 minutes then load them all up and run to Walgreens to buy more gel for the oldest kid. But they are both done, found the buggers in both but worse in the middle kid's hair and she is not itching any more. Tomorrow I get to finish the laundry and will comb through the youngest girls hair and that should be it.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote