Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Redgrrl
Casting On

Help-please with Fan Kimono from Knit Kimono (vicki square)
i am starting the fan kimono and i am a little confused by the starting instructions. The pattern says cast on 93; p 1 row; next row, knit 1st & last st….but it also seems to say knit the second stitch, then work pattern over 90 stitches…doesn’t say which row…row 1 maybe?

Then for Row 3 says begin working pattern rows 1-18. So, i could be working pattern row 1 twice? if i purl first row; next row knit first, second (tbl) and last but knit sts 3-92 in pattern row 1? then start with pattern row 1 on the actual row 3?

i saw a forum about this pattern where others were having trouble with it the same thing and one of the guys (yeah, men who knit) said he found out the hard way that you had to read the pattern Right to Left, then Left to Right, then Right to Left, etc. This is alarming, i have always read charts Right to Left for all rows.

Has anyone made this kimono? It is stunning!
Redgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hi there! In the pattern, before the instructions for casting on, etc. even start, are there instruction for pattern rows 1-18? Sometimes when there is a complex pattern within your pattern, they will list it at the very beginning.

If the pattern is online, can you post a link? That would help us to help you get this figured out.

EDITED to ADD:

About reading charts-- you read right to left on every row if you are knitting in the round; otherwise it's like you said. Here's some information:

http://knitting.about.com/od/knittin...ding_chart.htm

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis

Last edited by Marria : 12-30-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Posted too soon
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote