Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Debbie27
Casting On

Newbie here with ??
Hope i'm posting in the right section.

I'm a newbie here, i dont even know how to knit but i want to learn.

I'm planning to take a class at our local Joanns. Anyone take classes there? Is it a good place to start?

My question is what supplies would i need to get started??

Any tips and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Debbie27 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Starting to knit...
Hi, Debbie!

You've actually come to a great place to learn knitting already - right here on knitting help!

Up at the top of the site you'll see various categories like "Home", "Shop", "Patterns", etc.

Go to the one marked "View Videos" and put your cursor on it. There's a great section there on "getting started" and it will give you a neat push in the right direction. All you really need is some yarn (almost any type) and a pair of knitting needles. I'd suggest maybe an acrylic cheapie yarn with about a US size #8 or #9 straight needles. But see what Amy recommends in the videos.

There have been many folks who have learned to knit directly from this site, with the help of the other knitters in the forum. If nothing else, you'll be a little less mystified when you go for your class at JoAnne's!

Please let us know how it's going for you and write in if you have any questions meanwhile.

Happy knitting!

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help!!

The main things you'll need to knit are needles and yarn. The other supplies that you'll need can wait for a bit. Some people suggest very large needles for new knitters, but I personally don't think that's the best size. I suggest a size US 8 or 9 and some worsted weight yarn. Yarns like Caron Simply Soft and Vanna's Choice are great for new knitters because they are inexpensive and come in great colors.

Right now all you need to concentrate on is learning how to cast on and the knit stitch. When that feels comfortable add the purl stitch. There are videos here in KH (see tabs at top of page) and there is more help here that you can print if you need it next to you like I did.
http://www.community.knitpicks.com/notes
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq...&learnToKnit=1

Also... each forum has some sticky threads at the top of the forum list..check those because they have information that is commonly needed for newbies.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Debbie27
Casting On

wow that was quick, Thank you Ruthie. I'll go check out the videos and i'm sure i'll have lots and lots of questions.

Oh i have another. Is this hobby really really expensive? I have some expensive ones already so just want to get an idea of what i'm getting myself into.

I guess i should tell you what i'm hoping to learn to knit.

Well i'm a mom of 3 boys and i'm hoping and praying that one day i get blessed with a little girl so i'm preparing myself for that day so i can knit her cute little pink clothes. LOL. Expensive??

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Debbie27
Casting On

Thank you Jan, headed up to the videos now to see what i can find.

Thanks for the links also, will bookmark those.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
It can be expensive, but it doesn't necessarily have to be if you can control yourself from wanting expensive yarns, etc. One thing that is a big expense in the beginning is a set of interchangeable needles. There are dozens of posts here regarding them. I have Knitpicks Options as do many others and we LOVE them! I never need to buy needles again. However, you do need to learn on straight needles first before you start on circular needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
If you take a class at JoAnn, they will probably tell you what supplies you need for that class. Then you can go from there depending on what other projects you want to do. Each pattern will tell you what supplies you need for that pattern. If you plan to make knitting a regular hobby, you might want to invest in a set of needles (for example, from Knit Picks rather than buying needles one at a time. It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be, really. There are some really ridiculously expensive yarns out there, but there are tons of inexpensive ones as well, and there are always good sales.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It will only cost what you want to put into it. There are ways to get needles and yarn inexpensively - sales, coupons, thrift stores. As you advance you may want to try more luxurious or expensive yarns, you could treat yourself to some every once in a while, or purchase online at various sites that are discounted or having sales.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
Debbie27
Casting On

Thank you all. Ahh i cant wait to learn this. I'm heading to Michaels tomorrow to pick up some stuff. I'm going to get some regular needles to start off with and some yarn.

Any specific ones i should look out for? Jan gave me some yarn options and size 8 or 9 for needles but any specific brand for the needles?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

I have several sets of Boye and Susan Bates metal needles, and I think they're good to start with. They are relatively inexpensive too. If you want to try bamboo needles, Clover makes good ones. I can't advise you on plastic needles because I've only tried them once and I didn't like them.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
Debbie27 (01-01-2009)