Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
dgoodjohn
Ribbing the Cuff

guage problems
Hi everyone!

I'm having difficulty obtaining the correct gauge or i just don't know what i'm doing for my current project. So i'm posting the instructions below. Please help! I think i'm either reading the pattern incorrectly or i'm loosing my mind! btw, the pattern is from Vogue Knitting: Baby Blankets (Vogue Knitting on the Go!) Lace Christening Blanket by Mary Lynn Patrick pg. 53.

Knitted measurements: Approx. 30 1/2" long x 34" wide
Materials: #5 needle and 7 skeins a5oz/459yrds lion brand baby soft

Gauge instructions:
working with 2 strands of yarn, 29 st floral pat is 5" wide, 27 st diamond pat strip is 4 1/2" wide, and 24 st cable pat strip is 2 1/2" wide. For all strips, 34 rows to 4".

Note: blanket is worked in seperate strips and sewn together.

In order to calculate the stitches per inch wouldn't one divide the number of stitches by inches producing the following:
Floral pattern is 6 stitches per inch
Diamond patt. 6 stitches per inch
Cable patt.10 stitches per inch

I have to admit i'm about ready to quite this pattern. I've tried to gauge the diamond patt. with #5 and #6 with no marked difference between the two but by 1/4 an inch. I've also tried the diamond patt. with #5 and could not cram 27 stitched into 4 1/2" wide no matter how hard i try. I can't figure out why i can't get the gauge. So i'm thinking i'm not reading the pattern correctly. I've found it so vague on just about every point!

Sincerely,
Deeply Confused
dgoodjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hi there! Let's see if we can alleviate some of that frustration! There are lots of people here willing to help. So--

A couple of questions for you:

Are you knitting all of these patterns together when you make your swatch? Or are you making separate swatches for each one? If you are doing separate swatches, you might try knitting one swatch that includes all the patterns (you could separate with a stitch marker) and see if the total width approximates the total width that is called for. I said "approximates" because since this is a blanket, not getting the exact gauge is OK because it doesn't have to "fit" anyone. If you don't mind the dimensions being a bit off, you will probably be OK even if your gauge isn't perfect.

Another question is--is the yarn you are using the one list in the pattern, or are you substituting? The reason I ask is, if there is a difference in the weights, that could be affecting your gauge.

Can you post the actual rows for the diamond pattern? There might be a way to alter it so the gauge will be closer.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
dgoodjohn
Ribbing the Cuff

A couple of questions for you:

Are you knitting all of these patterns together when you make your swatch? Or are you making separate swatches for each one? I'm making seperate swatches for each one. If you are doing separate swatches, you might try knitting one swatch that includes all the patterns (you could separate with a stitch marker) and see if the total width approximates the total width that is called for. I'm half tempted to just knit the bloody thing in one go as opposed to knit seperately and then sew together! btw, how many stitches would you recommend i need to add between each pattern to knit them together?

Another question is--is the yarn you are using the one list in the pattern, or are you substituting? I'm substituting. The one called for is Mondial/Skacel Collection Cable 5 (cotton 1)

Can you post the actual rows for the diamond pattern? There might be a way to alter it so the gauge will be closer.[/quote]

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=87076
check this link out for the diamond pattern.

Thanks so much for your help! I just can't understand why i'm having such problems with this pattern in every way!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

It looks like the weight of the yarn you are using is thicker than the weight of the yarn the pattern calls for, so I am guessing that's why you are having so much trouble with the gauge. If you don't mind the blanket being bigger, I'd just use your #5 needles and go for it.

If you do want to make it in strips, I'd add two selvage stitches to each side of each strip in stockinette in order to make them easier to seam, but that's all I'd do. But really, I think you'd be OK just casting on and going for it.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
dgoodjohn (12-31-2008)
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, that's a thicker yarn so you can't get pattern gauge. I couldn't find the yarn anywhere, so don't know what it should be knit at, but it's probably a worsted, so I would suggest knitting on size 7 or 8, not the 5s or it will be too stiff. If you don't make as many strips, that will cut down the size some.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
dgoodjohn (12-31-2008)
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
dgoodjohn
Ribbing the Cuff

Whew, i'm glad to read it's the yarn i've chosen and not my math problems or ability to read I know that the cotton yarn (called for in pattern) was thinner than the yarn I chose. I stood in the store for a while and debated on this one, but decided the cotton stuff was just too ridiculously expensive.

Yes, Suzeeq, I've noticed that the swatches I've knitted with the #5 are very stiff.

I'm going to combine both of your suggestions. Maria, I'm going one pattern instead of a bunch sewn together PLUS Suzeeq, I'm going to use the larger needles. The #6 produced a less stiff pattern that i can live with

I'm hoping this strategy works ...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Unless there is some compelling reason to knit this in strips, I would knit the whole thing at once. Assuming you have needles that it will fit on- circular needles are great for this kind of thing. Personally I hate seaming, so I would avoid it if possible. That may be just me, though. Your afghan will be wider with heavier yarn, so it may not be manageable to knit it all together- but you may be able to combine strips in order to cut down on seaming.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Marria
Working the Gusset

I absolutely agree with Abbily--why create seeming for yourself if you don't have to? If you don't have a circular needle, I'd get one.

Edited to add:

Here's a link to the info about Babysoft:

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/yar...rnPage=1418803

Last edited by Marria : 12-31-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
dgoodjohn
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with everyone. I'm mapping out the pattern today as one big one in excel. I'm with you Abbily, I can't stand to seam. Given that this pattern has already given me so much heartburn I'm not interested in making it more complicated by sewing it together. I have a sneaky suspicion it wouldn't fit together and that would bring me to tears.

Yup, I'll be using the 34" #5 circulars. I ran a swatch with one strand (as opposed to 2) last night and I actually reached the gauge!!!!

Thank you all so much for your help and support Cheers for the info on Lion Marria
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

Mapping it into Excel is a great idea. Please post pics as you progress on it. I'd love to see them!