Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #111
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

Can I join this KAL, too, even though I started the log cabin a year ago and put it down for about 8 months to do other projects?

I started the blanket for my five year-old nephew using 10 colors of Simply Soft that I thought would be good kid colors and figured I'd just keep knitting until I ran out of yarn.

I'll post a picture when I find my camera.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #112
Karina
Working the Gusset

Here is a photo of my blanket so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blanket3a.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	51552

Trisha - great start to yours. Looks like a traditional quilt square with the red centre. very nice.

Jessica - how far did you get before you stopped. I am using six colours of Caron Simply soft Brites. I am quite surprised how far they go.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #113
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Awesome blankets everyone!! Kudos to you Artlady for getting done so fast too! I have just a few rows to go on log 8, then on to the split logs. I'll post pics when I can get around to it.... just been a busy week and weekend around here.

I haven't decided on how I'm going to do the border yet. I contemplated just doing a block border rather than a mitered one... you know, just picking up and knitting along two opposite edges first (probably the long sides) and then doing the same on the remaining two edges. I thought that might look a little more log-cabin than a mitered border... but the border on ArtLady's looks great, so I don't think it really matters. I might go with a little wider border too depending on the amount of yarn I have.

No more hockey games until this weekend, so hopefully I can get block 9 done this week!

Sandi
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #114
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi Jessica! Welcome! Thanks for joining us! We look forward to following your progress!

Hi Trisha!
Welcome! Your stashghan looks wonderful!
Ya know, I have some additional acrylic I dug up...colors that would not do for the girlie stashgan. Celeste has a brother, Caleb...so I think I might make another stashghan in March or April...and then give the kids their blankies at one time. Otherwise I'm gonna have to give Caleb something else...and I don't know what. He isn't a sweater, hat, scarf, mitten kind of kid. He is too hot and itchy. Like his Dad (my son)!

Hi Karina!
Your blanket is GORGEOUS! Like Trisha's, I like the traditional log cabin layout! I think it is great for more multiples of colors, too. And those skinny logs (not fat logs with 36 ridges) would be more accommodating for odds 'n' ends of yarn! And for striping bits into the log.

Hi Weezie! Doing your border 'log cabin style' would be really neat! That would certainly work! Good idea! I was tinkering around with making my border wider...but I was afraid that knitting more than 4 ridges with increases at each end of RS rows would throw off the miter angle. AND, I must confess...I was sick to death of garter stitch...and was anxious to be done with it! That was the decider!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #115
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

I decided to join ya'll in this KAL. I have got to clear out my stash, I'm out of room and getting "the look" from dh hehe.... I have decided to do OpArt from Knitty. I have several nephews and nieces that these would make fun gifts for. After seeing a rainbow version on Ravelry I decided this pattern would work well with the multiple colored odds and ends from my stash. I start today!

Pattern link:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #116
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by gargoylelib View Post
I decided to join ya'll in this KAL. I have got to clear out my stash, I'm out of room and getting "the look" from dh hehe.... I have decided to do OpArt from Knitty. I have several nephews and nieces that these would make fun gifts for. After seeing a rainbow version on Ravelry I decided this pattern would work well with the multiple colored odds and ends from my stash. I start today!

Pattern link:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

Libbie
Hi Libbie! The OpArt seamless blanket is really a wonderful design! Wheee! Thanks for including the link, too!
I think you are right...the OpArt will all multiple colored odds and ends to be utilized to best advantage! Looking forward to following your progress!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #117
Karina
Working the Gusset

Hi Libbie Just went to look up the Rainbow Opart. that is so cute, cant wait to see yours.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #118
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Help!

I have added a new color (pink) to my now-knitted 4 rows of blue. My question: do I add it on the right side or the back side? I mean: supposing I choose one side to be 'the right side'. Then this means that 'the wrong side' has a line of pink/blue. kwim?
So, when I return to just blue knitting (cz I'm making pink stripes in the blue), should I return to blue on the same side as the smooth row, or the row with the pink/blue line in it?

This is what I call 'right side'

and this would be 'wrong side'

So, I'm guessing that in order to have a neat look to the 'right side' I have to always start a new color on the odd numbered row? I am ready to return to blue, and I've knitted 3 rows of pink, but I believe I have to knit one more row of pink and begin blue on the right side?

clear as mud?
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #119
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Gargolyelib: That is one cool pattern, thanks for the link!

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #120
Woodi
Turning the Heel

It's OK, I think I figured it out myself. I must start a new color on the 'right side' which happens to be an odd-numbered row. I knit a few more rows, and got this.

Right side:

Wrong side:

I have to mention that the pink yarn is a tad nubbly, it's not my uneven knitting (not totally)...

This is my first block. It looks larger than other people's first block.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote