Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #131
dibbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Boy, you are fast ArtLady. I bet your new log cabin will be just as beautiful as your first one. I can only imagine how fast your fingers must go if you are knitting on more than one thing at the time. LOL.. I'd love to be a little silent fly on the wall and be able to watch you knitting. Any chance of a video of you knitting? That would be a treat for all of us that like seeing what you're knitting.
dibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibbs For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-13-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #132
Karina
Working the Gusset

Jessica - I love your blanket.

Artlady - cant wait to see you second log blanket. I have been dreaming log cabin blankets lately. Have all sorts of ideas rolling around in my head. I think of all the Traditional quilts that I have seen in magazines like the Courthouse steps block etc and the mind boggles with the variations you can come up with. I will definitely be making another one of these blankets for me
Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #133
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I too love your blanket, Jessica. I'm only on my first square, and it's turning out bigger than everyone else's, it seems. It's almost 8 inches wide, and I've knit 6.5 inches.

What size is everybody else's first square?
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
ladyjessica (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #134
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

Woodi, my first square was about 2" x 3". But I made it small because I was tired of that yarn.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #135
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

Woodi... my first block was just over 8" and my gauge was correct, so you're probably on track. I remember thinking that those first blocks or logs seemed bigger than I had anticipated also, but so far it's working out just fine, so sit back and relax, it'll work out.

I got my two colors going for log #9 last night, but have a little challenge that I joined on another charity forum that I'm going to have to get hopping on, so don't know how much of my log cabin I'm going to get to work on over the next couple of weeks... and hubby still wants his boot liners finished... so much knitting to do, so little time...LOL

Sandi
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #136
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I finished my first square, which is 7.5 inches in size! And I thought I was doing the baby blanket version!
I am a very bad knitter, I can see this now. But I suppose practice makes perfect, so I'll continue along, see if I improve.

and btw: I am not a big fan of symmetry, so I tend to do strange things with color.

Last edited by Woodi : 01-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #137
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
My first square is about the same Woodi and I can tell now that I'm on my third square I'm going to end up wanting to poke my eyes out with the needles doing so much flat plain garter stitch. At least it makes good TV knitting!

Oh and btw.... I didn't follow the pattern exactly..when I reached the point that I was sick of that color I bound off and changed squares. However, it will look pretty much like the original in the end I think.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #138
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
My needle/stitch speed is normal. I'm not gonna win any Western Washington State Fair knitting contests! But I knit a lot of hours per day. Tis one of the advantages that comes with age....kids all grown, married and out the door.

The disadvantage of age...well one of them...is that it's harder to get up and run to the potty after knitting a log!

I'll trade ya! Your age for my knitting time!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #139
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

PS:

The knitting contest I refer to: at our annual 3 weeks long Western Washington State Fair there is an actual live knitting contest each year up in the handmades pavilion. Where all the handmade quilts are displayed, along with the hand knits, crocheted items, sewing, canning, baked goods and art. Anyhoo...the participants are told "get ready, get set, GO!" and their fingers begin flying! The winner is the lady who knits the most stitches, with penalties for each error. The winner is usually always a continental knitter.

I believe they are told how many stitches to cast on beforehand...cuz when they begin, their needles already have the cast on row in place. I can't remember if they were knitting garter or stocking...but I think it was stocking stitch.

Anyway, it was AMAZING to watch these gals! There are usually about 6-12 knitters...not a lot. No, there weren't any guy knitters in the contest.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #140
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Here is my progress on the Jamaican Log Cabin!
I am calling it that cuz the color palette reminds me of
Jamaica! The garter stitch is a very heavy texture, using the US 11 needle.

I'm using 7 colors. Below are 6 of them. The lightest gold is not Gjestal Naturgarn No. 1 wool. It is Manos Del Uruguay, but I think I can make it work gaugewise. I don't have a concrete color plan for the individual logs beyond what you see. I'm just gonna feel my way along. It was hard to plan these colors on paper.

2-Tomato, 1-Plum, 2-Cypress, 2-Squash, 1-Banana, 1-Blueberry, and 7 Pumpkin used double stranded cuz it's dk weight. The red looks more Christmas-y but it isn't. Reds are had to photograph accurately, and I just didn't have time to try different digital techniques with it.

The red block is 7"x6". The piece you see is 27"x27" so far.

Did I say that this blanket is for me? Who else in the world would want it? When I travel with DH to the mountains, in his truck, we tussle back and forth over the temperature in the cab. I turn up the heat, he cracks the window...and on and on. You know how that goes! So, I'll use this blanket to snuggle up with to kill the draft! This will be my draftinator!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 01-15-2009 at 02:50 AM.