Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #141
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady - I really like the colours.

Just saw this on Youtube as you were talking speedknitting.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S2E-ID...eature=channel
I think I will have to practice the technique while making these blankets. I already knit pretty close to that, not the speed I hasten to add but the way she holds her finger close to the needle and have very little movement. Although still more movement than her way so will have to practice. I have no idea how you can get beyond 200 stitches in 3 minutes or even close to that.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #142
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Thanks Karina! WOW and double WOW! Miriam Tegels knits 118 stitches in 1 minute and she's in the Guiness World Records! And see, she is a continental knitter!

I posted your link in GENERAL forum cuz I think others will like to see this video, too! I hope you don't mind, I mentioned you by name and gave a THANKS to you for sharing the link with us here in the Janurary KH-KAL!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Karina (01-14-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #143
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I wish they would show her knitting from the other side and also in slow motion.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #144
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I tested my speed on my blanket, which isn't the recommended
trial...but...using US11 on a thick 'n' thin yarn and garter stitch...my speed is 30 st per minute. And I gave my self an extra three stitches for having to stop and pull yarn from the skein and push up stitches from the left needle. So my actual stitches were just 27 per minute.

I'm gonna do what the video said: cast on 60 stitches using dk weight and US5 needles...and give myself another test. I think I could boost my stitch count by 10. WhooHoo, huh?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #145
dibbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh gggg'sss that gal is fast with those needles on the video. I was reading somewhere that she's mastered what they call the rapid eye movement (not sure what this means). I could never get that fast if I practiced till the cows came home. LOL.

ArtLady, your new blanket looks great. Love the colors you're using for this new one. Your 30 to 35 stitches a minute is still really fast if you knit 'american'. Just think how fast if you were a continental style knitter. I also knit 'american' or english style and probably knit about 15-20 sts a minute. I am using a a size 9 an this worsted weight yarn (RHSS) on my logcabin blanket.

My arthristis slows me down alot, plus I don't see as well as I use to, so my needle sometimes hits between the wrong stitch and the row below thus making me have to redo. I guess we all have something that hinders our progress, be it kids, work, phones, or in my case old age, but we just keep on going cause it's better than letting our hands become idle. Plus it's lots of fun to make something useful even if it's only a dishrag.
dibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #146
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

WOW! Everyone's blankets look wonderful.
I'm currently on log seven.
ArtLady, what can I say but .

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #147
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady - that is OK. I did not know you could put the video in straight like that. I did try to test myself but found that the harmoneys gripped the yarn slightly. So I think speed knitting is best done with the options or other metal needles.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #148
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Well the blanket is in hibernation at the moment, mainly cos I am in Birmingham and it is not! I won't be going home til next week at the earliest. On the bright side, without knitting to distract me and nothing very interesting to watch on the TV, I am managing to keep on top of the work a bit more this term than I did last term. I actually sat and did the reading last night, and it was fairly interesting stuff. I'm doing a module on the psychology of parenting and another module on hallucinations and delusions, should be interesting. Think the blanket will have to be the project i do when i go home for the weekend.

Don't think I'm as fast a knitter as you Artlady. I also knit English and I'd love to knit faster but right now I don't have the time to practice. Maybe when I find the yarn and needles that do live in Birmingham I will do a little test myself.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #149
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Those colors are gorgeous, ArtLady! (I love bright colors.)

Inline YouTube videos drive me bonkers when I'm surfing from work because that site is blocked by the firewall. ("Bonkers" is a bit extreme -- basically I get an error message that I have to click through in order to finish loading the page. "Annoying" and "makes me petty" are better descriptors. )

I've been resisting, but I've decided I'm going to try this KAL too. I'm going to do the baby size and I mapped out plans using 4, 5, 6 and 7 colors out of my stash. I even did a photoshop image pictures of four skeins just to get an idea how they would look together and I think that is the way I am going to do. I have a bunch of green yarn that I am desparate to use up and I think I'd use more with a 4 color blanket than with one that has more colors.

I'm hoping to start on it tonight and maybe take it to the hospital with me in a couple of weeks when I go to have my baby. (If it's not too big.) It will be nice to have a back up project to my scarf, in case I don't feel like counting stitches.

I have never worked garter stitch before -- I am seven years into a simple crochet afghan and when I want mindless stitching I work on that -- but it has gotten kind of heavy and slippery and I don't want to have to mess with it there.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #150
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Well, I finished my first block, but it isn't a square. It's more like a trapezoid. Should I continue, or restart?

Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote