Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #41
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I'm not doing either suggested pattern, I'm just using stash yarn to make "regular" afghans. I do the garter stitch border with stockinette in the middle. I figure as long as the yarn is getting used up, and I'm getting something warm out of it, it doesn't matter (and this way I'll do it - the log cabin and whatchamacallit style look like they'd become more of a chore than a pleasure and the "stashghan" would never get finished).

Yes, I am perverse that way.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #42
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
I'm not doing either suggested pattern, I'm just using stash yarn to make "regular" afghans. I do the garter stitch border with stockinette in the middle. I figure as long as the yarn is getting used up, and I'm getting something warm out of it, it doesn't matter (and this way I'll do it - the log cabin and whatchamacallit style look like they'd become more of a chore than a pleasure and the "stashghan" would never get finished).

Yes, I am perverse that way.
WELCOME SISTER!

A stashghan IN any style is GREAT!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #43
weezie
Ribbing the Cuff

I love everyone's colors so far and the ideas are awesome! I have in the back of my mind an idea of doing another one using black as a main color and border and then jewel colors for other blocks... would probably have to graft that one out though as I'm not good with color placement either.

I'm still going on my baby stashghan and getting somewhere, but just got the pics from camera to the computer today so will try to post them and see if it works.

I'm having a great time working on this and meeting all of you!

Attached Images:

Sandi
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #44
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I love your color scheme weezie! They are very refreshing and crisp! Great work!

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #45
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Well, log#7 was a real marathon! (the large left hand purple log) Phew! 36 ridges and 114 stitches wide. Gads. But here it is...log#8 will be picked up along the top most edge...tomorrow. The photo was taken at 2 am...so the lighting isn't that great. Oh, yeah...I put a yardstick down to measure the width, but you can't read the writing very well. It is 30" wide and 28" tall...so far. I am almost out of pink...the remaining pink ball is about the size of an orange. It won't get me very far if I use it even partially on any major log. So I'll have to re-tool the color arrangement.
I'm using the light teal green for log#8.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #46
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Weezie- Your blanket looks great. I love the colors you chose.

Artlady- You amaze me with your ability to get so much done. I'm sure however you re-tool it, it will look amazing!

As for me, I finally managed to get the cream colored block done. I am now on log 8. I will post a picture later in the day. Hopefully I can get some more done. Baby is still a bit sick, but getting better.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #47
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
Ok KHers... don't be scared of my poor knitting skills.. here goes some pictures... This is my first KAL and i am learning how to pick up stitches as well.

I've got the last colour to choose as if finish off the third block. The colours so far are: Aran, Chocolate Brown (it is a warm colour), and "Soft Heather" (which reminds me of a sand on a beautiful beach. I am leaning to "1" as it has a warmer feel.

Things I did to help me 'cheat':
- Purled the selvedge edges to make the pick of stitches easier.
- Did not BO, kept live stiches on a cable so I don't have so many stitches to pick up.

">

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #48
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I think your knitting looks great. I like both colors, but I really like the blue. It just seems like it would really pop out in your blanket. If that even makes since!

I also slip the first stitch and purl the last stitch of each row to help pick up stitches. I have also been binding off with a larger needle size to help out.

DD is sleeping right now and the boys are reading, so I'm off to knit!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #49
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Dangles and Lieuvena: Thanks for sharing the great tips!
Dangles, I love the warm colors you've done so far!!!
I love the blue, but I also love the cream.

Here is a LOG CABIN that is in my Ravelry FAVS. It was knit by "sister". If I could afford to knit a log cabin just for me...it would be just like hers:

She used 4 shades of brown Cascade Ecological Wool. Her blanket took 8 skeins total, according to her notebook.

So my 'vote' would be to use the cream as your 4th color...it would create a great monochromatic theme like "sister's", but Lieuvena is right about the blue. It would be a great contrast and 'pop' the blanket!

As I type these words you've prolly already chosen between the two...and I am certain whatever you chose will be great! You have very good taste and a good eye for color!

And you have a great eye for color, too, Lieuvena!

I am working on log#9 now...picked up the 126 stitches last night and did 3 ridges...then just had to quit for the night.

Knit on good women!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 01-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Jaxhil (01-07-2009), luvmykid28 (01-06-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #50
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,731 Times in 7,103 Posts
That is gorgeous! I love the browns, but alas there's little of it in my stash. I may make myself one like this eventually, but for now they'll probably go to charity.

I just got home last night so I'll be getting my stuff together today.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote