Old 01-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #61
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by weezie View Post
Hi everyone... I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I was reading ahead in the pattern because I had seen ArtLady's post on the planning thread about some corrections, and now I have a question... and maybe you can answer it ArtLady since you're on block 9 now.

The pattern says pickup and knit 54 and 54 sts in colors B and D for 108 sts. The correction says to place marker at 63 ridges and pick up and knit 54 and 54 sts for 108 sts. BUT... considering you pick up one stitch from each bound off stitch and/or each end ridge, there should be 126 sts along the edges of blocks 1,3,5, and 7... which is also the number of stitches wide block 8 is at the top, which is the same length.

So, did I miss something in the correction? If you place a marker at 63 ridges, which would be the middle (it looks like anyway!), wouldn't that be 126 sts... the same as block 8? I'm pretty sure this is probably what it is, but thought I'd bring it up here for any new knitters who are a little math challenged... or to straighten me out if I'm not correct!

If you pick up and knit 54 sts within the 63 ridges before and after the marker, you would have puckers, correct?

Just checking before I get to that point and making sure I'm going to do it correctly when I get there.... I'm about halfway through block 7 now.... these blocks are getting bigger and taking longer! I like the baby stashghan so far and will probably drag out some other stash and go for a big one next time.
Hi Weezie! Ya know, I totally forgot that there was a correction for log#9! You just pick up 1 stitch in every ridge, that's it. If you want log#9 to appear as two squares, ya pick up 63 stitches in one color, and 63 in the other color. Of course, the 63 stitches are picked up across numerous previous logs...but don't pay attention to that so much as picking up the 63 in one color, and 63 in the other color: 1 stitch per ridge that you come to. My log#9 is coming along fine. I actually made my log#9 a bit different. I didn't make the log into two equal squares. I made the first section wider than a square, and the 2nd section narrower than a square. This was due to my yarn issues. I have a lot of one color left, and not so much of the other.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (01-07-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #62
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

I am trying a smaller (dishcloth) size version of the log cabin. It has been a disaster. I have the Mason Dixon Knitting book. On pg 68 (How to Log Cabin) they mention when binding off, you should leave the last st on the needle then turn the square 90 degrees to the right then pick up sts. Does anyone else leave that last st on the needle or do you bind off completely? If you leave the last st, do you cut the yarn, if so, how long do you leave the tail? Also.... I am having a very hard time figuring out where to pick up the sts. I know it is supposed to be 1 for each garter ridge, but with the way the yarn is wrapped around the edge... I can't figure out what "loop" to stick my hook into to pick up the st. Please help. I would love to learn how to do this!! It can't be that hard... it's only garter st.

Thanks so much!!

I am also kellybigeyes at http://www.ravelry.com/
kellybigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #63
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yes, I leave that last stitch WHEN the next log to be picked up is right round the corner aka a sharp left hand turn. Remember, all bind off rows are RIGHT SIDE facing.

When you bind off for log #7 on the baby size...your next log#8 isn't right around the corner. I bound off all stitches when I ended log#7.

You could just as easy bind off all stitches for every log that you complete, and pick up fresh stitches for the next log in line.

I leave the tails til ridge 2 is complete...then I tie the two tails together (eg: the tail from the end of log#6 and the tail from the starting of log#7) and weave them in. I do not wait til the entire log cabin is done and then spend an eternity weaving in a million tails!

As for picking up stitches on a 'bind off edge' of the another log...I insert my crochet hook in the front leg. When picking up stitches along a 'side edge of another log', I insert my crochet hook in a bump in the front.

Just experiment with whatever looks best to you. The secret to a neat looking transition (pick up row) is to do the exact same thing for each stitch. Keep it uniform.

My camera battery is dead...so I can't take a photo for you. Maybe later.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (01-07-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #64
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

Thanks... I saw somewhere in the thread where someone slips the first st and then purls the last st. Would this be of any great help to me?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #65
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by kellybigeyes View Post
Thanks... I saw somewhere in the thread where someone slips the first st and then purls the last st. Would this be of any great help to me?
That's what I do. It makes it easier to pick up stitches because it leaves a clear space (a larger "hole") to see and put your needle through. When you go to pick up stitches on your bind off side then there will be no clear "hole". For this I bind off in a larger needle size than I am knitting in. I'm knitting my blanket with a 7 and I bind off with a 10 1/2. There is still no "hole" but it is much easier to see the ridge and get me needle through. I hope that helps.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lieuvena For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (01-07-2009), luvmykid28 (01-08-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #66
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

Thanks so much!! I will try that tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #67
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Here is how I pick up stitches.

On a garter ridge edge, pick up in the front bump:

From a bind-off surface, pick up in a front leg:

Sorry the two purple photos are a bit blurry.

Artlady at Rav
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (01-08-2009), luvmykid28 (01-08-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #68
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
What I do, is slip the first stitch purl-wise then knit the last stitch. Where I am supposed to BO I don't, I leave the stitches live on a cable, so it's less to pick up.

Originally Posted by kellybigeyes View Post

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dangles For This Useful Post:
kellybigeyes (01-08-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #69
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Artlady- I pick up through both the bottom and the top strand on a bind off side. Is that not necassary? I really like how it has been turning out that way though. I will try to post pics later, but I have a very busy day today. I actually go through both on a knit side as well, which is why the slipping and purling helps.

Does it make the back more "presentable" picking up through one strand only? Could you post pictures of your backside? (The blanket sillies! )

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #70
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

What matters most is that you are consistent on any given pickup row! I'm sure your picked-up rows will look just great!

On some of my pickup rows, I picked up in the back leg, and on others I picked up on the front leg. I kinda feel my way along and see what I like best. I finally decided that I like the front leg best, but that might be because of my particular yarn.

Ya live and ya learn on this one, being our first LOG CABIN!

I am 90% done with Log#9. Phew. What a marathon.
The blanket is getting hard to maneuver now...getting all twisted up from turning it back and forth for RS and WS.

Looks like I will have enough acrylic yarn to finish up with Log#10 after all! The homestretch! Then an edging of some kind. I'm not sure what kind of edging. Maybe something kind of feminine, like a shell stitch (crochet). My DGD is a girly girl.

Artlady at Rav