Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What's in your travel knitting bag?
Not just for specific projects, mind. Sort of a general purpose thing.

Okay, I'm traveling, long-term, and I've just started knitting. Everything has to go into my luggage. So I'm trying to figure out what should be in a general knitting 'kit.' I've got sewing things with me, so scissors/snips, measuring tapes, etc. are not a problem. I have needles that I've used for specific projects so far (15mm, 6mm, 5.5mm, plus 4.5mm circulars) and that I've purchased because I thought they'd be useful (4.5mm, 5mm, and 4.5mm DPN), plus some stitch holders, cable stitch holders, markers of various sorts, and tips/stops. At some point soon I need to get a couple more crochet hooks in different sizes -- I have a 12mm one, which doesn't do me much good on worsted and lower.

What do you consider indispensible in your general knitting travel kit? What else should I buy while I'm in London, where I have lots of choices of stores?

Thanks in advance for any input!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

You might want a set of Chibi yarn needles. They come in a little container that helps to keep them from getting lost. I always have those in my knitting bag.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (01-15-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Are those the same as the Chibi darning needles? I think I saw those at the LYS today...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

Yes, they come in a plastic container shaped kind of like a bullet. I love Chibis because they have a bent tip, and it's amazing how much easier seaming is with them!

ETA:

Here's a link that shows what they look like.

globaltraveler (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Thanks, Marria -- those were the bunnies. I'll probably get them tomorrow! I'm trying to get everything together before we go stay in a seaside town for a month, during winter. I imagine I'm going to have a lot of time to knit.

ETA: any advice on the most useful needle sizes to have on hand? I don't want to get caught out...

Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Marria
Working the Gusset

Well I'd say the needle sizes would depend on what type of project you plan to make. Do you have anything preconceived in mind? If not, what sizes do you typically use? I'd take needles of those sizes. And if I had the opportunity to do the traveling you're going to do (did I mention I'm jealous? ) --I would get circs. If you can do it before you go, this might really be a good time to invest in an intechangeable set before you leave--then you will have whatever you need.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of times when I was out of town and I ended up buying a set of needles I already had at home. They really aren't that expensive for the most part.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I don't travel that much, but I do keep a "standard" kit in my knitting bag. I actually one of those little travel bags (like for your toiletries, with several zipper pockets). In that, I have some crochet hooks, stitch markers, my cable needles, the chibi needles, a needle gauge, little scissors and one of those round cutting tools (one or the other would be enough...I just happen to have both!)...probably some other stuff, but that's what comes to mind.

As to needle sizes, I either carry just what I need for the project(s) I'm working on, but if I'm going to be in a situation of suddenly starting a project I hadn't planned on...I have my KP Options and/or Harmonies tha I can just stick in the bag in their respective cases. Otherwise, I'd just decide ahead of time what you want to knit and take the appropriate needles.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Well, let's see -- so far I've done projects with Rowan's Big Yarn and have 15mm needles from that, and mohair. Also, Cascade 220 for the USO hats, and have the 4.5 Addi circulars for that. I also intend to get some of the Emu Superwash and make some more charity items for practice.

I won't be ANYwhere near a LYS, the nearest not being very close to the train. At that point, I'd be just as well off going back into London.

In the mini-stash (which is threatening not to be so mini as I prepare for a month of not much else to do but Web-surf, cook, knit, visit the local pub, and walk by the sea (a tragedy of a life, honestly! ), I have 214 yards of gorgeous robin's egg blue 8 ply Australian merino that I haven't decided what to do with yet, and two balls each of several ggh Soft-Kid colors.

I intend to try and get good enough to attempt real lace knitting (rather than the openwork I'm doing now, which is fun, gorgeous, and challenging enough at the moment for a beginner like me) by the end of my month there. Right now with lace patterns, I make and tear out, make and tear out (and after about iteration six I give up), which becomes tedious on mohair.

I'd love to also get some of that gorgeous hand-dyed silk and do something artsy with beads, but I really DO have to get better at knitting before setting needles to something that expensive. :D

I don't have anything smaller than 4.5 and nothing larger than 6 (besides those 15mm ones). I was thinking of getting a couple of lace knitting addi's for the mohair, as sometimes the tips of my other needles don't seem sharp enough to me.

I have the ability to buy just about any of the circular sets, being here in London -- which ones are the best to knit with? I don't mind spending money, although the 79 quid for the Addi circular Click set makes me cringe a bit: is it really worth that?! I suppose it must be! But I know for sure I can get Harmony, Addi, and Denise. (I note that the Denise needles are supposed to be airline friendly, which is a plus!) Anyone have a rec for which one of those would be the best long-term investment?

If I'm going to do this, I suppose I might as well do it right from the beginning and not end up buying two or three different sets of needles...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I would also have some sticky notepads and a couple of pens or pencils to keep track of your progress.
I've traveled stateside on various airlines with my Harmonys.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Oooh, sometimes it's those simple things that you totally miss...must make sure there's room for a notepad and such!