Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
slugmom
Ribbing the Cuff

Do I have to re-wind my yarn into a ball?
Another question - I got all these lovely twisty skeins (hanks?) - the long ovals twisted upon themselves. So pretty. But do I need to re-wind each one into a center-pull ball before I knit? Will it get all tangly if I don't?

I hope that's not too silly of a question. Nearly all my knitting experience is on cheapie general store yarn.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
I think it's always a good idea to wind a hank into a ball (or cake) before knitting with them. They aren't like a skein where you can pull it out of the center. I learned from the video here in KH.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
sorifes
1st Leg of the Journey

You don't have to unless you want to. I do because I don't like fighting with the skeins from the store. Even when I make my own skeins after taking a sweater apart I still ball it because I hate fighting with yarn while I knit.

I do put my balls in a bag or in the middle of this circle table that I got so it doesn't roll all around my house lol
sorifes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

I've knitted before straight off the hank...for the most part, it works ok. But it does eventually get tangled and takes more effort to untangle every so often than it would have if you wound the ball first. I also bought a ball winder...LOVE it. It's sooo fast. I tried doing it by hand (I probably did it wrong), as shown in videos, but it still got too tight as it progressed and I ended up pulling more yarn out (bc it was knotted up).

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
megan734
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to megan734
Originally Posted by slugmom View Post
Another question - I got all these lovely twisty skeins (hanks?) - the long ovals twisted upon themselves. So pretty. But do I need to re-wind each one into a center-pull ball before I knit? Will it get all tangly if I don't?

I hope that's not too silly of a question. Nearly all my knitting experience is on cheapie general store yarn.
you really don't. if you just wind it up you'll be A-O-K!!!!!!
megan734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Well unless you don't mind if they get really twisty or you have something you can lay them open while you knit, for as long as it takes to knit the project... no. However, it's really a lot easier in the long run to wind the yarn. It doesn't have to be a centerpull ball, if that's part of the question, you can wind it so you pull from the outside.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I tried knitting straight from the hank once, when I was first starting knitting. It was a horrible mess. Things got tangled so bad. I now roll them up into balls by hand (not center pull).

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Do NOT knit straight from a hank. You will regret it. Trust me.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
it's always a good idea..... i learned the hard way...

Skein of yarn from the store... 1/2 way into a sock, at a part where i wouldn't be able to cut yarn and join new...

The yarn changed. went from being sport weight down to being twisted so tight it resembled size 10 crochet thread... I called the company that made the yarn, they sent me a SASE for the 6 foot length that was inconsistent with the rest of the skein...

and sent me 3 skeins of that yarn in that dye lot.

Now see, had i wound it BEFORE attempting to knit with it, i'd have known about the bad section before working on the sock and the pair wouldn't have sat in my UFO pile (naturally it was the second sock this occured on) for a year.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
TEMA
Turning the Heel

The first time I ever bot a hank of yarn, the saleslady offered me the use of her ballwinder. I said no thanks, I'll do it at home.
Then I had to think about it. What did I need a ballwinder for?
Okay... the light dawned and I wound the ball myself. Next time I will take her up on her kind offer.
I put the hank on the back of a chair and wound it by hand. The ball gets really big and awkward and sometimes the yarn doesn't come off the hank all that smoothly.... and I can certainly see why it's easier to knit from a ball than from a hank. The whole time you are knitting from the hank it could be rolling around getting all tangled up in itself. At least, if it's in a ball, the rolling does nothing more horrendous than make the ball move around.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote