Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
SheehanCreations
Casting On

Well Lori.... it just goes to show you that "different strokes for different folks"... is not just a saying.....!!!!! That's what I love about handwork.... we all take different paths to get to what we want..and be creative on the way.... afterall.... the process can be creative as well... right..... "rock on" girl.... bj
SheehanCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SheehanCreations For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-07-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Yes, that's how I knitted for the first 3 years... then (age 12) I went to a friend's mother to get some help.

The 13-year-old daughter came in and saw me sitting there with the one needle sticking up between my legs and...

"Oh, Mama!! LOOK at how she's holding that!"

"Yes, Bonnie. Be quiet, honey."

"But MAMA! LOOOK at it!!!"

I hadn't the vaguest idea what was going on, but I decided I'd better teach myself to hold BOTH needles in BOTH hands.

Years later, I finally figured out why Bonnie got so freaked....

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-07-2009)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey all,
I am quite ambidextrous in a lot of ways. I tend to find (especially when after writing) my right hand hurts. As I tend to spend quite a lot of time jotting notes/writing. I thought I would save my right hand. So, when knitting I hold my right needle still with my right hand, and do the majority of my work with my left hand needle. I have picked up speed doing this work, it minimises my fingertips being on the knitting needle (when I first began knitting I wore holes in my fingertips from a second hand aluminium needle) and limits aching in my right hand.
I find the way I knit much more relaxing than the other way, and it saves my wrists as a lot of work is done with my shoulder as I move my entire arm to do this. It reminds me of how a sewing machine works when it catches the bobbin thread and makes a stitch. This method is really helpful when lying in bed/slouching on the sofa as I can rest my needle somewhere and just steady the base.
~*Phoenix*~
PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PHOENIXMOON For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
lynn893
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Lori, I don't hold my straights between my knees, but when using straights that are over 9", the right one always gets 'anchored' in the crease between my hip and my leg. If it's not 'anchored' then I'll constantly drop it.

(it's only on long straights, though)

But, we're all different, and as long as it works for you, then it's completely fine.

WIPs: these change so quickly, if your really interested, check out my project page on Rav.

FO: Finished 14 shawls in 2010, as well as some socks and other stuff.
lynn893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Koehnae
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Koehnae Send a message via Yahoo to Koehnae
Oh how I wish I had seen this waaaay back when I hurt my wrist in a fall at work. Imagine the horror of not being able to knit for 3 months! When I started to heal some, I actually stuck the needle down into my cast because my fingers had no grip and I was desperate to knit... even if it was just a scarf. I'm told it was very humorous to watch!

Koehnae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koehnae For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
spanky51
Casting On

Hi Lori,

I knit almost the same way. I rest the needle on my thigh and knit away. I'm self conscious about the way I hold my needles thinking I was the only one. Knowing there are others out there like me is a comfort. Annie Modesitt has a great book called Confessions of a Knitting Heretic and she talks about her unique knitting style. As long as you get the need results that you want it's all good. I use circular a lot so I won't feel like I am an odd ball with my style of knitting. Knit on and more power to ya.
spanky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spanky51 For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
Craw
Knitting the Flap

That's how I knit!! I thought I was the only one. I just don't have the dexterity in my left hand to hold the needle and the yarn at the same time. I've tried combination knitting with a little more success but I still go back to this style. It's comfortable for me. We rock!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #28
Autodidact
Casting On

I didn't realize I was doing something similar until I saw your video. I often find myself bracing the end of the left needle against my body or the top of my thigh when I having trouble controlling things.
Autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Autodidact For This Useful Post:
LoriZubie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
LoriZubie
Casting On

I love all the responses!
So I realize now that these long straight needles are very heavy and with me not being very coordinated, it was time to try some circular needles.
I just received my new needles from KnitPicks and they are wonderful. They are nickel plated and smooth and sharp. I got 47" cables too.
Working with the circulars already seems easier to handle although I'm still a little awkward.
There's a knitting meetup Friday so maybe someone there can put my hands on the needles the "right" way (even though we've proved there is no right way!).
A few more scarves and I'll be ready to do two socks at once!
LoriZubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #30
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey All,
Does anyone else call the complicated stitch that keeps dodging the needle naughty/nasty names? I have recently been trying to do a double decrease for this pattern, I realised my knitting is always very tight when I am on my small metal needles. Therefore it is too tight to easily get two stitches passed over another. Those stitches have DEFINATELY changed their name from the original 'slipped stitches to pass over'.
On another note, talking/complimenting/rewarding the part of your work that is behaving itself makes it continue to behave itself! Hehe! The proof is in the action!
Anyone else talk to their stitches?
~*Phoenix*~
PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote