Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Mirl56
Instepping Out

there's an article at knitty.com about one inside the other. Let me see if I can find it......

here:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
LynnNH (01-08-2009), Marria (01-07-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
danshe
Casting On

Is there one book that you would recommend out of the several mentioned? I've decided to give up on socks until I can knit them on circulars.

I checked out the tutorial but got stuck on making sense of the cast on. Do all the instructions for circular needles require a specific cast on? I only know how to do long tail so far and had trouble with the directions for other kinds. I'm left handed and knit right handed overall but there are some things I apparently do backwards like cast on. That may be why I have trouble with the directions.
danshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
You're wonderful!!!
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
there's an article at knitty.com about one inside the other. Let me see if I can find it......

here:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html
Hi, Marilyn!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is exactly what I needed! I'm so jazzed to try this out as soon as I can. From what I've read of the article I'll probably feel like I've got 20 thumbs for awhile, but that's OK - wouldn't be the first time!

I REALLY appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Happy knitting!

Ruthie
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Knit picks used to have a free pattern for 2 at time socks that I am pretty sure uses a long tail or knit cast on( it's been a while but I know it was not a difficult cast on). I know I have it saved on my computer somewhere. I'll look for it and get back to you soon!

ETA Here it is! that was a lot easier to find that I though it would be!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog

Last edited by HollyP : 01-06-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling and adding link
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
LynnNH (01-08-2009), Marria (01-07-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Well, Ruthie - Good Luck to You!! I am not brave enough to try that 2 at a time method!

Let us know how it goes!!

Marilyn, another Marylander

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-07-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by danshe View Post
Do all the instructions for circular needles require a specific cast on? I only know how to do long tail so far and had trouble with the directions for other kinds.
For top down socks - you can use any cast on you're comfortable with. I, for instance, have to look up how to do the long tail cast on everytime I use it, so I rarely use it. So whatever cast on you prefer for your socks, use that one.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
LynnNH (01-08-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
LynnNH
Casting On

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!! I soooo appreciate all the feedback. I've got to just buy some circs and get started, I guess!!

I've seen that Knitting Circles Around Socks book several times and wondered if it was what I really wanted, so now I'll have to look more closely.

Thanks again, everyone! You're the best!

Lynn
LynnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by LynnNH View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!! I soooo appreciate all the feedback. I've got to just buy some circs and get started, I guess!!

I've seen that Knitting Circles Around Socks book several times and wondered if it was what I really wanted, so now I'll have to look more closely.

Thanks again, everyone! You're the best!

Lynn
It's a really good book, but not my kind of patterns. I have a copy that I'm not using if you're interested in getting it for cheaper than in stores.

Marilyn, I just read that article on Knitty... Holy cow! I don't think I'm brave enough to try that yet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyFirelyght For This Useful Post:
LynnNH (01-08-2009), RuthieinMaryland (01-07-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
KnittedRose
Ribbing the Cuff

Lynn,
When I learned to do socks I knew I would have the same problem, so I started out with 2 sets of needles, and had my yarn rolled into 2 separate balls when I bought it. (that way the colors in each sock ended up in the same place) I knit the top of one sock and then the top of the other, doing the same with the heel, gusset, and toes. When I'm done I have a complete pair of socks and feel very gratified. One of these days I'll learn how to do them on 2 circulars, but for now this works for me.
KR
KnittedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnittedRose For This Useful Post:
LynnNH (01-08-2009), RuthieinMaryland (01-07-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
LynnNH
Casting On

Wow, double knitting.....I just look a look at that Knitty link, and that looks crazy. Cool, but dangerous to the sanity!! lol.

LadyFirelyght, thanks for the offer - I'll look at it and see. What about the patterns don't you like? Just personal style?
LynnNH is offline   Reply With Quote