Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
newknitter2
Casting On

Would this idea work?
I have never knitted a thing in my life! After watching all of the videos on this site and then looking at a lot of other information, I came up with an idea to make an afghan. I am hoping that the wisdom of all of you might let me know if my idea would work or fail miserably. Thank you very much in advance.

I was thinking of making an adult size afghan. The exact dimensions aren't important to me, so I thought that casting on 250 would be an ok size? Then, I am going to use a garter stitch throughout, to get me going on the whole knitting thing. It was the stitch that made the most sense to me in the video. I will worry about casting off later on, since I am sure this will take me a bit and I will become more familiar after a while. I wanted to know if using the Russian method of swapping colors... if it is very easy to do that at the end of a row? Do you know what I mean.. so that I end a row in one color and begin the next row in a new color. Is that very difficult to do, or is it all the same no matter what?

Also, any reccomendations on what size needles to use for knitting an afghan? I was going to use a "regular" size yarn - not too chunky especially since I want to use the Russian method when changing skeins. Oh! And in the video, she said what the needle was called that you use to do the changing.. it sounded like "tapestry needle".. is that right or am I hearing wrong?

I have to go buy everything from scratch, so any and all suggestions are very welcome. Thank you.
newknitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It really helps to think it out a bit more. CO about 20 sts first to see how many sts/inch you get, then multiply times the width you want. You may need a lot less than 250 sts, which you may not find out until you've knit several inches and will have to take out again. You may want to use about a size 9 or 10 needle with the medium weight yarn.

A tapestry needle is used to weave in the yarn tails from switching colors, not to change them. Generally, you can knit 2 rows with one color, then knit 2 more rows with another color and twine them around each other at the one edge to carry the unused color up the side until you need it. If you want to use more colors than that, you'll have a lot of ends to weave in. If you want to change them every row, even more. However, if you just leave a 3-4" tail when you change colors, you'll get a fringe along the edge, which may be an idea.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

Yes, it is a tapestry needle you use for a Russian Join. I would take some small bits of yarn and practice the join for a bit, it's hard (for me at least!) to get the color change right where I want it that way.

Suzeeq has great advice on the rest!

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
newknitter2
Casting On

Thank you very much. That is a very good idea about the stitching 20 first. I will do that. I wanted it about 60 inches wide, so I will see how many stitches per inch I get. I was thinking a size 10, so that is good to know as well.

And thanks for the tip about practicing the Russian join first
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
Mhall
Casting On

This may seem obvious--but if this is your first project, don't start with something this large. Make a scarf or hat just to get the hang of things. Start with one of the fun yarns like eyelash, CO 8 and then just knit until the scarf is long enough. Try a larger needle--15 is fun as it makes knitting fast. That will give you practice plus that type of yarn will hide your mistakes! If you start a huge afghan, you likely will be discouraged and never finish--and there you sit with $50 or more in yarn. You can buy some Patrons ChaCha or Lions brand fur for $4 and have a nice scarf!
Mhall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mhall For This Useful Post:
newknitter2 (01-05-2009)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I have to agree with Mhall- a big afghan like that can be an exhausting project. It's not hard and it's certainly within your ability, but you might not want to start out with a project that may feel like it will never end... because that will give you the wrong impression about knitting. Yes, sometimes knitting projects do feel like they'll never end! But I just don't think that's a good "first impression" for something you want to enjoy. There's a huge feeling of accomplishment when you finish a project, and it makes you want to jump into the next thing. Start out with something that will give you that boost a little sooner. Then when you do start your afghan, when you start to get bored with it you can cast on something else to work on- alternate between 2 projects so you can mix the big project with smaller goals.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
newknitter2
Casting On

Oh that is a good idea, I never thought about having two going at once. I think that would be perfect for my type of personality. Thanks so much for the tip!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
You're welcome! I think most knitters have 2 or 3 or 4 things going at once.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Definitely start out with something much smaller. Especially if you haven't ever knit before! I wouldn't use any of the fuzzy, "fun" yarns to learn on, though. They're usually harder to knit with and can be frustrating even after you've learned.

I'd start off with a medium weight, inexpensive yarn. Usually acrylic is suggested for learning. You can usually pick up a skein for a dollar or two (I always start in the clearance yarn). Buy a few colors of the same type yarn and make some "swatches" to learn the stiches and the color changes so you'll be ready to tackle that afghan.

Good luck....and let us know how you're doing.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
You're welcome! I think most knitters have 2 or 3 or 4 things going at once
If not 6 or 8 or....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote