Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

These needles are driving me crazy!
In my enthusiasm to get started on my very own NEBB I grabbed the only set of circular needles they had at JoAnn's. (Susan Bates) The pattern called for straight needles, but I can do math - 20 inches times the sq root of 2 is a heck of a lot longer than I want to cram onto straight needles, not to mention the weight!

I am so frustrated from fighting with the dang cable! It's not kinked, but it won't uncurl, even though it's got about 17 inches of work on it. Other than that, they're not too bad, the aluminum is nice and smooth, the tips aren't pointy enough to kill me, and the stitches aren't snagging at the join.

I'm reading through the Interchangeable Needle Poll thread, and I'm almost convinced to order the Options, but I get the feeling I won't like the pointy tips too much. JoAnn will let me order the Boye set, and even claims they're in the store, but I didn't see them (and I wasted an hour picking out yarn and a set of needles - I should have seen them)

I think I'm pretty quick for a beginner, and I haven't had any problems with stitches sliding off the aluminum, so I'm tempted to go whole hog and order the Options now. Any opinions other than the ones expressed in the thread?
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

I haven't used any of the interchangeables, but in the mean time, try putting some water in a big bowl, heating it up to just about boiling, and dip the cable of your Susan Bates in it for a few seconds. That should help them to uncurl.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
TrishL1975 (01-05-2009)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, I just saw that in a knittersreview.com review. *sigh* where'd those straight needles get off to?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
danshe
Casting On

Don't forget the Denise needles. I've had 0 problems with them. I've noticed that other students in the knitting classes I take has ended up buying the Denise set as well.
danshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Options, for sure!
Hi!

I've written about Options so many times .... They're wonderful!

If you want to be sure if you like them or not, why not order one set of tips and the size cable you need and try them out. If you then love them, get the whole set!

Good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie
Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RuthieinMaryland View Post
Hi!

I've written about Options so many times .... They're wonderful!

If you want to be sure if you like them or not, why not order one set of tips and the size cable you need and try them out. If you then love them, get the whole set!

Good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie
That's exactly what I did. I got one set of tips in Options and Harmony and a set of cables to try them both out. I just ordered the Options today! I loved them!!! Now to not so patiently wait for them to get here.

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Congrats! I don't think you'll be sorry. In the meantime, did you try uncurling the cable with the hot water method? If so, did it help?

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, y'all. Yes, I did, and it did help. It's still a stiff as heck cable, but I'm not wrestling with it every dang row. I'd still like an interchangeable set, but that's not an immediate need at the moment. I have this irrational fear of not being able to make gauge, and I'm an instant-gratification type of gal.

Ack, late for work! Gotta run!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
dairywife
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Lieuvena View Post
That's exactly what I did. I got one set of tips in Options and Harmony and a set of cables to try them both out. I just ordered the Options today! I loved them!!! Now to not so patiently wait for them to get here.
Me too. I tried both and then ordered the Options. I had a difficult time choosing one over the other because I did really like them both. I ended up choosing the Options just because I have always liked metal just a touch better than wood.

dairywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I just wanted to drop in to say that the options are awesome. When I get some more money I'd like to try out a pair of harmonies too. The pointy tips don't bother me too much. I have a number of calouses(spelling?) on my fingers and hands from the various things I'm always injuring them on. But I love the smoothness of them. I swear it's like heaven knitting on them.