Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
mustardmo
Casting On

Pass Slipped Stitch Over?
I am trying to swatch the Heirloom Silk Shawl from Erika Knight's "Knitting for Two".

Row 1: Knit 1, *knit 2 together, yarn forward, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2

No problems there

Row 2: Purl 2, *slip 1 purlwise, purl 1, repeat from * to last stich, purl 1.

No problems there.

Row 3: Knit 2 *yarn forward, slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over, repeat from * to last stitch, knit 1.

Here's the problem. Does "pass slipped stitch over" mean to bring it over the stitch I knit after it, as in a decrease? Because if you do that, you end up with a lot fewer stitches and row 4 does not have any increases. This pattern is a 4 row pattern repeat.

Row 4: As Row 2

I suspect that pass slipped stitch over means something other than what I'm thinking.

BTW, has anyone ever knitted anything from this book? I am also working on the "Mom's Soft Wrapped Jacket" and the measurements of where you cast off the lapel and distance to the armpit seem to be off significantly. Anyone else experienced this? The instructions tell you to BO 17 sts for the lapel on the same row you mark the start of the armhole which makes it 9 inches from the shoulder. That places the lapel directly below the breast apex. Not a good look and certainly not like the photograph. Besides which the collar will fall about 4 inches short of the lapel on both sides. The armhole also ends up about 4 inches larger than the sleeve. I know rib is stretchy, but come on.

Thanks for any input.

Monique
mustardmo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Here's the problem. Does "pass slipped stitch over" mean to bring it over the stitch I knit after it, as in a decrease?
Yes it does. There are YOs just before the skp :
"*yarn forward, slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over, repeat from *"

A yarn forward is a YO.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
mustardmo
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes it does. There are YOs just before the skp :
"*yarn forward, slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over, repeat from *"

A yarn forward is a YO.
Hmmm. When I bring the yarn forward it's sitting between the needles, not on the needle, I slip the next stitch, then return the yarn to the back so I can knit the next stitch. I have 4 sts sitting on my right needle. I pass the slipped st over and now I have 3. I tried to do it without returning the yarn to the back, but I still end up with 3 sts. I think I'm just wrapping the slipped stitch. I went and looked at a yarn over video on youtube. I'm going to start over doing a yarn over instead of just bringing the yarn to the front. My fear now, is that on Row 1, I'm going to be increasing a bunch of sts that don't get decreased anywhere.

I'm not completely frustrated yet.

Monique
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yfwd is british for a YO between 2 knit sts or knit decreases and when you bring it fwd, the act of knitting the following stitch completes the YO. It does sometimes help to bring the yarn around to the back before you slip the next stitch, and watch that you don't slip the YO instead of the slip stitch. You can kind of push the YO back so you can clearly see the slip stitch.

Row 1 is k2tog, yfwd, so you have incs and decs that balance out. The pattern is written correctly, so just follow it stitch by stitch and it will come out right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
mustardmo
Casting On

Thanks Sue: I'm going to start over (thank goodness it's only a swatch and not all 163 stitches). I went out for a 2 hr skate ski so I've beaten all the angst out of myself and I should be able to concentrate now.