Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
KnittinChick
Casting On

I just don't get it
For years, I've heard people say that knitting is much harder to do than crochet. I picked up knitting like a duck to water, but I can't crochet to save my life. My mother can crochet without even looking at her hands. She's tried time and time again to teach me, but I just can't do it.
Is there some ancient crochet secret that you only get if you can do a chain stitch? lol
I'd love to learn, so that I can do decorative borders on blankets, and I've seen some beautiful lace patterns.
Can anyone recommend a book for beginners or offer some tips?

Thank you!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
MGM
Turning the Heel

How about a few videos to get you going? I have made some on my site for beginners which you can check out here. Just look down the list to the heading that says "Learn to Crochet Video Tutorials" and start at the beginning.

While you are there, make sure you sign up for my Winter Giveaway. You'll find a link to it towards the top of my sidebar.

Hope this helps!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
knitpanda (01-23-2009), knitpurlgurl (01-18-2009), KnittinChick (01-06-2009), miraclebaby50 (01-17-2009), saracidaltendencies (02-14-2009)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
SheehanCreations
Casting On

I agree... video is about the best.... I think that crochet is something that just "hits" you all of a sudden.... it takes practice,,, but I can whip up things more than twice as fast in crochet... I believe it's the whole "one needle thing"..... I am a "thrower" in knit and that slows me down a bit.. but both are something I do every day of my life... since I was 14... good luck... I'm off to check out the video... I love them!! bj
SheehanCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Ancient Crochet Secret
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Knitting is the same:

Knitting was hard for me because I kept a tight tension on the yarn, casting on was teadious, and keeping the stitches on the needle was a challenge. Casting (binding) off is still my weakness. And then you must do something with each and every stitch. The rows are all the same size, there is only two stitches (no, really just one! A purl is just how to do a knit from the back side.) How can you knit so many different patterns using just a knit or a purl!

Well, I've learned there are stitch variations: YO, KBL, M1, etc. Well, I've read about more stitches than I've actually done.
Knitting is smooth, and rows are the same height throughout the fabric. You just need to count stitches for width and rows for length of your fabric.

Knitting is laying bricks. Side by side. Same size and shape. On and on...

Crochet.

Crochet is different. Each stitch is complete. You get to choose where to connect the next stitch, because each new stitch binds off the previous one.

Crochet is freedom. Freedom to be adventurous! A chain is nothing more than one slip knot made through the loop of another slip knot. You have a larger variety of stitches in crochet, and each changes the texture of the fabric.

Crochet is working with knots of different heights and shapes. Like taking irregular stones and building a wall. Crochet is stone masonry. Shape the stone to fit and fill the next gap in your work. Crochet is texture, each stitche has width and height(or length). Rows can be short or tall or both mixed together.

What knitting and crochet have in common is the fiber and using one or more loops to make more stitches.

Crochet is beautiful lace and doilies, afghans, and grannie squares. Crochet is big and bold or fine and delicate. Crochet fits a mood or follows a fancy.

You start easy enough. You tie a knot. Then you pull a loop of your strand through your knot and make your second chain. Try it with a soft rope, like clothes line or a shoe lace. Work it with your fingers. See what new shape you can make, then find the name for it. "Oh, that's a harringbone-half-double-crochet."

Crochet is discovery, discovering how the rope or yarn loops and passes over, around, through, and back again. Crochet is an exploration of what is in the yarn, yearning to me formed into a warm blanket or a cosy set of slippers.

Crochet is a game of twister with a hook and some yarn.

Lean back and explore the twists and turns. Enjoy the art of creating beauty.

Crochet.

--Jack

Ah, well, back to knitting this scarf.

...this is the scarf that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some fellow started knitting it not knowing what it was, and now he keeps on knitting it forever just because...

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
MMario
Turning the Heel

For both knitting and crochet: there are nearly as many ways to perform the motions as there are knitters and crocheters.

There is a group of people I not infrequently gather with - seven or eight of us crochet (about the same number knit - but in different combinations) and even though two of us TAUGHT several of the others to crochet - we all hold the hook and thread differently and have different styles of making the same stitches.

But the results are very very similar.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnittinChick View Post
For years, I've heard people say that knitting is much harder to do than crochet. I picked up knitting like a duck to water, but I can't crochet to save my life. My mother can crochet without even looking at her hands. She's tried time and time again to teach me, but I just can't do it.
Is there some ancient crochet secret that you only get if you can do a chain stitch? lol
I'd love to learn, so that I can do decorative borders on blankets, and I've seen some beautiful lace patterns.
Can anyone recommend a book for beginners or offer some tips?

Thank you!
You don't really say what your problem is.
If you would perhaps someone could offer a tip that would click for you.

Without knowing the problem all I could figure is you're trying to do it exactly like your mother. Don't worry about making the motions the same, only worry about the end results.
My sister picks up with her hook. I wrap with my left. My great niece does some sort of motion that is very much like English knitting.

Another thing could be the style of hook. Some people do better with Boye style, some do better with Bates style.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Knitting is the same:

Knitting was hard for me because I kept a tight tension on the yarn, casting on was teadious, and keeping the stitches on the needle was a challenge. Casting (binding) off is still my weakness. And then you must do something with each and every stitch. The rows are all the same size, there is only two stitches (no, really just one! A purl is just how to do a knit from the back side.) How can you knit so many different patterns using just a knit or a purl!

Well, I've learned there are stitch variations: YO, KBL, M1, etc. Well, I've read about more stitches than I've actually done.
Knitting is smooth, and rows are the same height throughout the fabric. You just need to count stitches for width and rows for length of your fabric.

Knitting is laying bricks. Side by side. Same size and shape. On and on...

Crochet.

Crochet is different. Each stitch is complete. You get to choose where to connect the next stitch, because each new stitch binds off the previous one.

Crochet is freedom. Freedom to be adventurous! A chain is nothing more than one slip knot made through the loop of another slip knot. You have a larger variety of stitches in crochet, and each changes the texture of the fabric.

Crochet is working with knots of different heights and shapes. Like taking irregular stones and building a wall. Crochet is stone masonry. Shape the stone to fit and fill the next gap in your work. Crochet is texture, each stitche has width and height(or length). Rows can be short or tall or both mixed together.

What knitting and crochet have in common is the fiber and using one or more loops to make more stitches.

Crochet is beautiful lace and doilies, afghans, and grannie squares. Crochet is big and bold or fine and delicate. Crochet fits a mood or follows a fancy.

You start easy enough. You tie a knot. Then you pull a loop of your strand through your knot and make your second chain. Try it with a soft rope, like clothes line or a shoe lace. Work it with your fingers. See what new shape you can make, then find the name for it. "Oh, that's a harringbone-half-double-crochet."

Crochet is discovery, discovering how the rope or yarn loops and passes over, around, through, and back again. Crochet is an exploration of what is in the yarn, yearning to me formed into a warm blanket or a cosy set of slippers.

Crochet is a game of twister with a hook and some yarn.

Lean back and explore the twists and turns. Enjoy the art of creating beauty.

Crochet.

--Jack

Ah, well, back to knitting this scarf.

...this is the scarf that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some fellow started knitting it not knowing what it was, and now he keeps on knitting it forever just because...
Nice explanation..

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (01-12-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset

Try this:http://www.nexstitch.com/ maybe it'll help..

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (02-14-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Craw
Knitting the Flap

Knitting is SO much harder and slower for me. Crochet I picked up effortlessly. I learned from this book but that was before the time of You Tube and online tutorials, or at least before I knew of them. Having someone teach you in person is ideal but when you can't have that, the videos are the next best thing. The hook style certainly made a difference for me. Before I knew there were 2 different kinds, I'd tried a Boye hook and wound up tossing it thru a window. LOL To this day I'll toss a Boye hook thru a window in favor of a Susan Bates. I hold the hook and yarn differently than my mother or Grandmother but the results are the same.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
cara16anna
Casting On

I learned from the Stitch & Bitch: The Happy Hooker. There's some great explanations in there. Just keep trying! You might need to hold the yarn and/or hook different than how your mother does.

Do you knit conitnental or english? If you knit english it may be a little different crocheting. Maybe try crocheting left handed?

Just some suggestions!

Do you know what part you're having problems with?

cara16anna is offline   Reply With Quote