Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
VivianAlexander
Casting On

Two Color Brioche Stitch

Hello, I just signed up to this forum because I love the videos that have been so helpful to me in accomplishing my goal in teaching myself to knit. I learned how to do it from the videos! Yeah! Go Me!!!

Now I have found something that I truly want to do. I have watched several videos that are not from this website but I just can't get it. I'm hoping somebody here can help. I like "words" to go along with pictures.

So, brioche stitch, two colors. What I am really trying to accomplish is to make a 2x2 ribbed scarf where the purls and knits are different colors. So the ribs are one color and the valleys are another and when you reverse the scarf it is the same beautiful pattern on both sides. I found this video on brioche knitting that did exactly that! However, I cannot for the life of me seem to be able to figure out how to get it right.

Starting from the cast on it seems simple, like every other cast on. However, I started my cast on with two colors which was apparently a total waste of time, but .. I did learn how to do it!

The two videos I have been watching over and over show the brioche being done on either DPN's or in the round. I wonder if this is the ony way to do the brioche stitch?

So, I want two colors to make a scarf in brioche stitch. Pretty simple. OR.... just a basic 2x2 rib with the ribs one color and the valleys the other... when I tried to do my knits black and my purls grey, I got the two colors but not quite right.. one side was grey and one side was black.. instead of the contrast I saw in the brioche stitch..

OK.. that was a whole lot I know for a first time.. but any suggestions are welcomed.

Hugs and thanks

Vivian
VivianAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
http://domino32x.blogspot.com/2005/1...f-pattern.html

I wasn't sure what you meant, but I found this pattern. It looks like you need to do it on a circular needle or a double pointed needle so you can push the work to the other end for the next row. So it appears that you knit a row with one yarn, then slide the work over to the other tip and use the other yarn. THEN you turn the work.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
bonnie22
Casting On

brioche stitch
i hope i'm posting this right i'm new. my question is do i cast on both colors at once for two color brioche stitch.or just cast on the mc color, start with the second color on the other end?
bonnie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

For the pattern Ingrid posted, the cast on is with just one color.

You could experiment both ways and see how it looks.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote