Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Marria
Working the Gusset

Sweater Alteration
I have a friend at work who was telling me how she has this lovely aran cardigan sweater she bought in Ireland. The only thing she didn't like about it was the length. She said there was a plain section of the fabric she'd like to have removed and asked me if it could be done. I told her to bring the sweater in so I could have a look at it. In my mind, I'm thinking, oh yeah, this can probably be done, no problem. I was just thinking, oh, well we'll just take out the cast on edge, unravel it for awhile, and then rebind it off. (Thank goodness I didn't tell her that.)

Well, she brought the sweater in today. Now when she told me it was an aran sweater, from Ireland, I automatically pictured a typical fisherman style sweater. When I actually saw the sweater though, I discovered that although it is knit with traditional aran cables and braids, etc., and out of the traditional wool you would think of, it is knit from side to side. Well, that put a damper on things. I figured it would be fairly easy to take out the bottom and just cast it off at the length she wanted. Now, the only thing I can think of is to sew across where she wants it altered, cut off the extra piece (which is in moss stitch, by the way), and hem it somehow. I told her though that this was beyond my capabilities and that I didn't even know if it would be worth risking her lovely sweater.

So, what do all of you think? Is this something a professional sewing type person could do? Are there other solutions I'm not thinking of? Or would it be best to let sleeping sweaters lie?

Thanks!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

What about steeking it in a similar way that you would add a button band to a cardigan knit in the round?

As you suggested, sew firmly onlong where she would want the sweater to end then cut of what is below. Pick up stitches just above the line of sewing and knit down from their in a short band to 'finish' it. The knitting will be going ina diferent direction but it would only be for a few rows to tidy things up.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
Marria (01-10-2009)