Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
dibbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I'm using Lion Brand plastic dpn needles - I got them several years ago, and this is the first time they have worked well with a yarn. I guess it's because I'm using Lion Brand yarn!
When I tried using sharper pointed needles, the yarn would split too easily. The dull points on these needles let the fluffy yarn flow nicely.

I usually prefer metal needles, because I'm such a tight knitter. I cannot use wooden needles at ALL, because my hands and arms just ACHE after using them.

But, everyone is different. The best thing for you to do is to try using different needles and different yarns until you find the right combination. I use metal for cotton and other non-slippery yarns. I use plastic for slippery yarns. Some people like to use wooden needles for slippery yarns.
Thank you so much Shandeh. That's the information that I needed to help me in choosing dpns. I have some slippery yarn and I couldn't decide what kind of needles to use with it, so I borrowed a friends bamboo DPNs and they just didn't work for me. Like you said, my hands hurt like heck when I used them because I have RA.

Again, thanks so much for this useful info. I'll give the plastic needles a try. I think I saw some at Michaels the other day that weren't to expensive and would fit in my budget.

BTW, I wanted you to know that I think you're a great knitter and a great MOD. I admire your talent and love of knitting and especially the work you do for charity.
Thanks again - dibbs
dibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibbs For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (02-19-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,911 Posts
Thanks dibbs!
Good luck with finding the right needles for your knitting.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote