Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
hwn222
Ribbing the Cuff

need project for ugly acrylic worsted
So I have five nearly-full skeins of Red Heart Super Saver worsted in boring/ugly colors... brown, tan, black, and 2 kinds of variegated tan/brown/green/rust. (I made some things to match a coat for a guy.) What the heck can I do with all this yarn?? I looked through the stashbuster postings but most of the great things should be colorful or in toasty warm wool!

Hmm... anyone have a good pattern for a big, tightly-knitted or double-stranded project bag? I have things stuffed into three smaller bags now.

Thanks for any ideas!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could make a bag, or a throw or dog blanket....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Mike
Working the Gusset

Crocheted granny squares.
Black, 4 rounds. Brown, 3 rounds. Tan, 2 rounds. Make squares until you run out.
Figure up the square/rectangle that will use the most.
Join and border with variegated. Keep adding border until you don't have enough to complete last round.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
What seems ugly to one may not be ugly to another so making something for charity is always a good way to use up that kind of yarn. Or how about making something (or many things) for The Snuggles Project. Animals certainly don't care about color and dark colors are always good for pets.

There is a KAL for The Snuggles Project using stash yarn right here in KH, too.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=87309

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
figaro (01-15-2009), hwn222 (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I like having my early projects which were ponchos (free patterns from Lionbrand). It's nice to have it be tough enough so I'm not worrying about any little snag, like when the dogs are all over me, etc.

You can see them on my Ravelry page and search for "poncho", they'll come right up, or just scroll to the early FOs.

It's also always nice to have some scarves and hats lying around you don't mind giving away to a visitor if they need one. Quick, easy projects.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I'm resisting the January KAL "Seamless blanket project" in the Knit-Along forum. I have seven different colors of Red Heart Super Saver and I've mapped out a baby log cabin blankets using four, five, six or all seven of them and I have started a swatch. But I'm not signing up because I have four other projects currently in the works.

However, I'm attracted to the idea of being able to use up a bunch of that old ugly yarn and making space for new!

In your case, that might be something that would use up a lot of your yarn in a design that would also make those colors look not boring or ugly.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
yarncharmer
Knitting the Flap

Heidi,
Check out this thread:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...oolly+thoughts

These are really amazing, beautiful geometric patterns that would look good with your yarn, I bet. I spent way too long looking at the woolly thoughts website last night, and their projects are so cool and would definitely bring some interest to working with yarn you're not thrilled with. Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'knitting math'
yarncharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by hwn222 View Post
So I have five nearly-full skeins of Red Heart Super Saver worsted in boring/ugly colors... brown, tan, black, and 2 kinds of variegated tan/brown/green/rust. (I made some things to match a coat for a guy.) What the heck can I do with all this yarn?? I looked through the stashbuster postings but most of the great things should be colorful or in toasty warm wool!

Hmm... anyone have a good pattern for a big, tightly-knitted or double-stranded project bag? I have things stuffed into three smaller bags now.

Thanks for any ideas!!
If you don't want to knit with it, you might see if a local senior center would take it.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
hwn222 (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Marria View Post
If you don't want to knit with it, you might see if a local senior center would take it.
That's a great idea. My sister is worried about how she'll afford yarn when she's in a home.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I'm resisting the January KAL "Seamless blanket project" in the Knit-Along forum. I have seven different colors of Red Heart Super Saver and I've mapped out a baby log cabin blankets using four, five, six or all seven of them and I have started a swatch. But I'm not signing up because I have four other projects currently in the works.
Ummm.... I have more than that on the needles and I'm still doing it..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote