Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Too much coating on Addi lace tips?
I'm just trying out a new circular Addi 2.5mm Lace Needle. I have other lace needles from Addi and have enjoyed using them a lot. I know they're supposed to have a coating on the tips for more "bite", but this set seems almost sticky at the tips (the rest of the needles seem fine), and I'm having to use effort to knit just to get the tips to slide past each other smoothly.

Is there such a thing as Addi's with too much tip coating on them, and what do you think I should do about them, if anything? Will it wear off on its own, do you think?

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

I've never had this issue with my Addis (I only have a couple of sets of their lace needles, but about 10 of their regular needles). I have heard that dealing with returns for them can be a hassle, but I've never had to do that personally so I don't know.

Did you buy them recently and at a LYS? If so, I'd take them back. Or contact Addi to find out what your options are.

If you've had them for awhile, I'm wondering if maybe you could do something to the needles to make them smoother, like perhaps painting a coat of clear nail polish on them? (Although that might make it worse--I don't know.)

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (01-21-2009)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Thanks Marria -- I think I'll knit with them today and see if it gets any better over the day. If it doesn't...back they'll go, and hopefully they'll have some I can exchange. It's a very weird feeling thing -- like the tips stick together when you're knitting...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Well, they did seem to get a bit better today -- so perhaps they just needed some sticky stuff worn off them or something.