Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
yasmin_sheridan
Casting On

Help with knitting lace scarf--yarn overs
Hi! I'm trying to knit the Juliet scar from Knitting Little Luxuries (http://flickr.com/photos/25580302@N08/2515104798). However, I'm having considerable trouble from keeping the yarn overs I'm making becoming too dangly, if that makes sense. Instead of having the pretty little gaps you can see in the image above, the thread on my work is far too loose. I've knitted lace once or twice before, so I'm not terribly experienced, but I'm not very new either. I've ripped and reworked my project 6 times, but to no avail. Advice? Please let me know what you think. This is such a beautiful pattern, and relatively easy, and I feel like such an idiot for screwing it up!
yasmin_sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Wellll.... are all the YOs too loose, or just some? If just some of them are, are they before or after decreases or purl stitches or what? Usually a YO between a knit and purl can be loose if done `correctly', which is bring yarn to the front, over the needle and to the front again, which makes it half a wrap more, kinda. You can change that by just bringing it over the top too the front loosely to purl, but remember it's done backwards so on the next row, you have to knit into the back leg of it or it will be too tight and twisted.

Also, it may not be as bad as you think. Try blocking it while it's still on the needle, or put it on scrap yarn, and see how it looks then.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I think you ought to keep knitting and not try for perfection. The yarn you are using may not show the yo's very well without some blocking. Why don't you do a gauge swatch with some yo's and then block it to see how it comes out?