Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
KrissyK79
Casting On

Felting...is it ruined??
I knit a striped bag. Followed directions, gauge everything. Get to felting instructions, just says felt in washing machine.

So, I do a quick search for best felting instructions. I decide to use a tablespoon of detergent, small load, and toss the bag in hot water.

I check on it 5 mins later, nothing, 10 mins nothing, rinse is coming, so I restart it. I did this like 5 times.

And all my bag has done is gotten bigger (saggier).

Is there anything I can do, or is this bag a wash ()
KrissyK79 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

Is the yarn definatly a feltable yarn? for felting you need an animal fibre such as sheep wool and some felt better than others. Make sure your machine is on the hottest cycle and is getting plenty of agitation.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
KrissyK79
Casting On

Originally Posted by tarrentella View Post
Is the yarn definatly a feltable yarn? for felting you need an animal fibre such as sheep wool and some felt better than others. Make sure your machine is on the hottest cycle and is getting plenty of agitation.
I used this one
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd23045
Wool-ease is a 4-ply worsted-weight yarn that is so beloved by knitters and crocheters that it inspired an entire family of yarns. Wool-Ease is appreciated for its versatility and value. It has the feel, warmth and softness of wool and the easy care of acrylic. It's extensive color range makes it easy to design with and perfect for every project from socks to afghans. We will try to match dyelots, but dyelots are not guaranteed Care: Machine Wash and Dry
KrissyK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

That yarn is mostly acrylic, which doesn't felt... so likely it won't felt, I'd think. Someone with actual felting experience may correct me, though, so don't take my word for it I hope your bag isn't ruined!

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Wool-Ease (which I love) will not felt. It is mostly acrylic and only a little bit of wool. I made a hat once with it that was a little big, I thought I would try to shrink it a little. Mind you I was not trying to felt it, I knew it wouldn't do that, but I thought maybe I could shrink it a little. I used hot water, and like your experience it got bigger and saggier instead of my intended smaller. I later worn it a little myself (it had been intended as a gift for my of my granddaughters) and it wasn't bad. It was soft and loose, but worked. Maybe your bag will serve some purpose.