Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
yasmin_sheridan
Casting On

Circular Needles Vs. Double-Pointed
Hi,
I'd like to knit a hat for my mom, but the circular needle I have is too long at 24", so I can't join the round. I have a pair of double-pointed needles, and I think I can easily knit the hat on them, but I'm wondering if this would alter the gauge somehow, or mess up the pattern? Aren't double-pointed needles and circular ones essentially the same, in that I can use them to achieve the same results? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused! Not to mention broke, which is why I'm hesitant to go out and buy another pair of circulars!
yasmin_sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
knitasha
Turning the Heel

If the double pointed needles are the same size as the circ you should get the same results. A circular is essentially an infinite number of dpns joined together. Or, looking at it the other way, dpns are just a circle broken up into several sections. Either way, you're knitting in the round.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sure you could use dpns instead, though I use 24" ones for hats. I CO to another one, usually the next size up, and then join and knit the first round with the size I intend to use. The cuff is still too small, so I use a variation of ML - Modified Magic Loop - for a few more rows. I usually inc a few stitches, and then the 24" works fine until a few decs where I switch back to the MML till I have to use a real ML.

You can also knit it on 2 circs and the length doesn't matter, though you wouldn't want a real long one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote