Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
miraclebaby50
Casting On

mitered square cardigan help
I am starting a mitered square cardigan in the book Skein For Skein
by Cheryl Potter. Anyway this is the mitered square instructions:
,Basic square for the body:
With first yarn, cast on 87 stitches. this includes i st at sides for selvages. Purl one row,(WS) this is not part of the square pattern.Row 1 (RS)sl1kw-K2tog-psso. Row 2 Purl.Row 3 K41 sl 1 kwK2tog-psso, knit to end.

Work in est pattern,decrease 2 st EOR until 21 remain.End with Row 2 Now dec every row working de on right side as above wrong side as follows sl3 st kw one st at a time to RH needle,sl3 sts back to LH needle and P3 tog tbl until 3 st remain. I understand the directions but I am still windng up with the same amount of stitches. Am I doing this wrong? Should I be doing a right and a left dec stitch on each side of the mitered center? Also my edges are wavy.
miraclebaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The sl1, k2tg, psso is a double decrease which takes 2 sts away every RS row. That dec is in the middle of the row, so R1 should be k42, dec, k42. R3 is k41, dec, k41. You knit 1 less st before and after the dec every RS row.

If the stitch number is not changing, then you must be adding a stitch every row. Look at the sticky thread here http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32886 and make sure you're not knitting 2 sts into the first st of each row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
miraclebaby50 (01-17-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
miraclebaby50
Casting On

thank you for posting a reply so quickly . I am going to try again. I did not realize to watch the st after the st carefully. I think I just get excited and go like a house on fire and want to stay up all night. I found I have a tendency to not be careful and my knit st when wrapped around the back becames an extra st. I just learned to left hand knit a few weeks ago. That helps my tension issues, combining this with the be extra caeful I may just lick this problem. Thanks again
miraclebaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote