Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Cathie
Ribbing the Cuff

KP Options Nickel plated or Harmonies?
I've read the threads on here about which needles everyone preferred and I'm leaning toward getting myself some of the KP Options. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the nickel plated or harmony wood tips though. I currently use the Boye Needlemaster set and I like the metal. I've actually never tried a wooden needle but the harmonies look really interesting. I am looking at purchasing a new set because I just figured out the magic loop method today and would like to start knitting socks using ML but my boye cables are just too stiff. It's driving me nuts the way it keeps twisting around. It was fine to knit a hat on but ML is just not working!
Could anyone give me info on using the nickel or harmony tips? Has anyone used both and have an opinion as to which they like better?

Cathie

On the Needles: crosshatch lace socks for me, basic socks for DH

On the Hook: Homespun Waterfall Afghan for me, then an afghan for son and Mom
Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I just did all this research! I actually am getting both, as I'm in the middle of a long-term round-the-world trip and want all the needles I might need with me in as little space as possible. So everyone thought an interchangeable set would be ideal for me.

I want to do a lot of lace work in the future, and everyone recommended getting wood for that, since control over the yarn is crucial over speed with lace work, plus the Harmony tips are very sharp, which help with the tiny threads (it'll be interesting to see how long it takes me not to split yarn, though).

However, I also plan to do a lot of regular knitting and really like metal needles for that, and I love the Addi needles. Everyone who uses them told me that the Nickel plated Options are the most like Addi, so that pretty much sold me. (If I had an unlimited amount of money, I'd have probably gotten the Addi Click set to see which I preferred, but unfortunately, my gravy days aren't here quite yet! )

The nice thing, of course, is that they're interchangeable, so you can just buy one set that fits your general plans for your knitting, and then add tips of the other sort as you need them. If I wasn't traveling, I probably would have gotten the nickel and just ordered the wood tips as I needed them rather than gotten two full sets, which just about killed my wallet.

I did get some Lantern Moon rosewood needles, just because I couldn't resist them. They're beautiful to knit with, in the limited amount of knitting I've done with them so far.

HTH! I'll add that I'm still a relative beginner, so this is from limited personal experience, but I'm trusting that the advice I've been given on the forum here will hold for me.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I have both and like them equally. The Harmony tips are not quite a slick as the Options, but they are slick and slide easily. Both tips are sharp. The only drawback to the Options for me are sometimes night knitting under a light. Sometimes the reflection on the Option tips bother my eyes - but it doesn't stop me from knitting. The only thing about the Harmony tips is that if you're working with dark yarn, it's not as easy to see your stitches on the needles.

My advice would be to start with a set of either and gradually add tips from the other set until you have them all. The tips are not expensive. That's what I did. When I ordered my Options set, the Harmony set had not come out. So I just added several tips to several orders until I had them all.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I have a set of Harmonies and while I like to knit with them very much, I'm not so happy with the fact that the wooden needle and the metal piece that attaches them to the cable comes apart so often. This requires either a glue fix or a replacement from KnitPicks.

I was wondering if there were any issues with the Options like that. Are they more reliable than the Harmonies? I don't recall anyone having issues of their Options coming apart. Just thinking aloud here and considering investing in a set.

What do you Options owners think?

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Keep in mind for sock knitting, the smallest size needle for KP interchangeables is 4 ... you will have to get smaller needles as fixed circulars. Not really a big deal ... since you only need one needle for magic loop, I think they are only $4.99 for 0 - 3

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I have both, and frankly, am happy with both. I tend to reach for the Harmonies more often because they are prettier...but both function equally well. I like to knit smaller round things with two circs rather than magic loop, so when I do that, I use one Options and one Harmony needle. That works great for me.

The only real difference is that the Harmonies are a tiny bit "grabbier," so if I were doing something with slippery yarn, I'd go with those rather than the Options.

Otherwise, it's strictly personal preference!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I have the Harmony interchangeables and the Options sock dpn set. The Harmony tips are lighter in weight and it did take a bit to get used to the light reflection off the Option dpns. I would say personal preference. I did manage to break 2 of my Harmony tips in the smaller sizes almost immediately. I have a habit of setting my knitting on the sofa next to me and when I put my hand down to push myself up of course one of my tips was under my hand and snapped in two. It was easy to glue back together and sand smooth and I'm still using them, but I also went ahead and ordered extra tips in the 4-6 size range. They also tend to be the sizes I'm using right now so it's great to have an extra pair. I also ordered some 40" cables and have extra 24" and use them a lot.
When making a top down sweater I can knit 1/2 the stitches onto another cable and use my end caps and try on the sweater, I'm working on bust shaping right now. I like being able to add darts and short rows exactly where I need them.
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
liziis
Casting On

hi i'm new to the forum and a beginner knitter. i'm hooked on DPNs and want to buy the harmony interchangeables. i'm curious what you experienced knitters think are the most useful length of cables? here's what i like to knit: i hope to knit some socks, and love to knit hats. i knit small projects and hope to master the majic loop. what doyouu think?
liziis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liziis For This Useful Post:
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

The interchangeables from KP come with 2 24" cables and 2 32" cables. The 32" should be fine for magic loop and I find I use the 24" for knitting in the round and for most flat projects as well. If you think you need even longer cables you can order just extra cables in longer lengths. They're not very expensive. I've since added 40" cables, but so far have used them only for slipping stitches on a sweater in the round so I can try it on as I go.
Cathie (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
reeny
Ribbing the Cuff

Before I bought my options (I went with the nickel) I ordered one set of tips in each the harmonies and options, and one package of cables. That way I was able to try them both out before I committed to a full set. The individual tips and cables are extremely affordable. I went with a size 6 harmony and a size 8 nickel because I figured those are two sizes I use often and I would benefit from having extra's in those sizes.
Cathie (01-18-2009)