Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Review Of Wooden Needles (Straight)
Hey All,
I am thinking of treating myself, yet again, with a new pair of straight needles.

Needle Specification:
Bigger than a 12/2.75mm and smaller than a 10.75/7.00mm (half way between them would be great).
Must be from (sustainable woodland/recycled wood).
Must be approximately the length of A4 piece of paper/can fit in a paper file!
Must not be too expensive or jewel encrusted.

I would like to know what the difference between birch wood and rosewood, and their advantages/disadvantages.

So in essence, I am looking for a review of knitting needle materials.

~*Phoenix*~

PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I was going to say Lantern Moon, until I got to the "not too expensive" part, depending upon what you think "expensive" is. If you're curious anyway, take a look at their backstory, which for me is the real reason I buy them. They're beautiful needles to look at, and are gorgeous to knit on. I recently splurged on three pairs, as I couldn't resist how beautiful they are!

Birch is light in color, takes stain very well, is a furniture grade hardwood, and birch ply is one of the strongest plywoods. Here's more info on Birch characteristics.

Rosewood is one of the most dense fine hardwoods, and so is very strong. It is also extremely attractive. There are actually a few different kinds of wood known as "rosewood", so you have to know what kind is being used to really know what the characteristics of the wood are that you have being called rosewood. The original wood called "rosewood" is Dalbergia nigra, which is a CITES-listed endangered species, so companies like Lantern Moon are probably using another rosewood.

HTH!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn

Last edited by globaltraveler : 01-18-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added information
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey All,
GlobalTraveller -I have had a quick peek at Lantern Moon... They are so beautiful. They are more display knitting needles rather than for doing actual knitting!
~*Phoenix*~
PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Noia
Casting On

I've been using Crystal Palace circular needles which I just love Phoenix. Those may work for you.
Noia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
LiezelMiller
Casting On

I ordered three pairs last year and they are just wonderful to work on. You jhave to remember that for me with the exchange rates and the postage I had to multiply the price by about 8 to get it converted into my own currency. I can only recommend them highly they are really a treat to knit with.
LiezelMiller is offline   Reply With Quote