Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Noia
Casting On

Help with neck/shoulder shaping instructions
I'm making my first sweater and have come to the difficult part for a noobie, the dreaded shoulder/neck shaping! The instructions seem like they should be super simple but it's not clicking for me.

Shaping back neck:

Next row (RS): Patt 36 sts and turn, leaving remaining stitches on a holder. Work each side separately. Cast off 4 sts at beg of next row.

Shape shoulder:

Leave rem 32 sts on a holder. With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, cast off center 41 sts, patt to end. Complete to match first side, reversing the shaping.

I'm good with it till the cast off four part! Then my mind just shuts down on me! lol Do I cut the yarn? If so then where do I go from there? Thanks so much for any help!
Noia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

When it says rejoin yarn, you're going to join a new ball and then follow the instructions. This is what it means in the previous line about working shoulders separately.

So once your 32 stitches are on the holder (which will be for one of the shoulders), you will join a new ball of yarn, immediately bind off the next 41 stitches, and then knit in your pattern to the end. You will then use the ball of yarn you joined to finish the shoulder with the stitches you just knit, while you'll use the other one to knit the other shoulder.

Where it says this:

"Complete to match first side, reversing the shaping," it gets a bit muddy to me without seeing it in context of the rest of the pattern. It might be talking about casting of 4 stitches at the beginning of the row to match what you did on the previous row. Do you have a link to the pattern?

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Noia
Casting On

Alas, no links as it's a pattern from a book Marria. But that pattern is a simple ridge pattern:

Row 1 (RS): Purl
Row 2 & 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl

Worked for 6 rows before the shaping starts.

I'm pretty sure I'm just casting off four for the first side only. Other wise the stitch numbers won't add up to the 113 I have when starting.

Thanks so much for your answer! It certainly made things much more clear.
Noia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Marria
Working the Gusset

Glad it helped! Although I'm not completely sure what the reversing the shaping refers to, you just want to make sure your shoulders are symmetrical, and you should be good.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
spencerlou
Casting On

shape shoulders and neck
cast off 8 sts on right needle and turn,leave rem sts on holder, is holder a spare needle, the remainder is that the larger amount of sts on other needle, also it doesnt say bind off, what does this mean and should I do it, please help, first sweater!
spencerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,465 Times in 3,141 Posts
Well if the pattern for the garment you're knitting gives these instructions, I think it best to follow them. It would be helpful to have a pattern link or an exact quote of a few lines before this line and also the exact quote of this line. Not the whole pattern, just a few lines.
Cast off means bind off. The holder can be a spare needle if you have one, a stitch holder, or you can just thread the sts onto a length of scrap yarn.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
spencerlou
Casting On

sorry 59 sts, cast off 5 sts,(is this at the beg as it doesnt say) patt until there are 9 sts on right needle and turn,, leaving rem sts on holder. cast off 3sts beg of next row. cast off remain 6 sts.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ummm, could you write it exactly at it appears in the pattern? When you write the way you interpret it, that may not be what's written. Does it say 'cast off 5 sts each side', or cast off 5 at the beg of the next 2 rows', or just how?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
spencerlou
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Ummm, could you write it exactly at it appears in the pattern? When you write the way you interpret it, that may not be what's written. Does it say 'cast off 5 sts each side', or cast off 5 at the beg of the next 2 rows', or just how?
its says cast off 5 sts, patt until there are 9 sts on right needle and turn, leaving rem sts on a holder. cast off 3 sts at beg of next row. cast off rem 6 sts. With right side facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, cast off centre 31 sts, patt to end. Cast off 5 sts at beg of next row, then 3 sts at beg of foll row, cast off rem 6 sts, its the first half i dont get, HELP!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay, that's actually pretty straight forward.

Begin by binding/casting off 5 sts, and work just 9 sts (count the one left from binding off as one of them). Ignore the rest of them and turn, BO 3 stitches and work the other 6. Turn and BO those 6 sts. That completes one shoulder.

With a new end of yarn, BO 31 sts, which should leave you with 14 that you work on. Turn and BO 5 sts and work the other 9. Turn and BO 3 sts and finish the row. Turn and BO the remaining 6 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote