Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #101
Kithic
Ribbing the Cuff

Artlady, that cardigan is gorgeous!

Here is the picture of my overlapped cuff:

I think I am going to tack the loose bottom edge to the rolled hem so it rolls up as well and then I will place a button on each side ribbed section.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #102
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
It looks really great, Kithic! Way to go!
BTW: I posted a photo of your cuff in the SYLVI group! It is an excellent example of a successful overlapping cuff! I gave you credit for the cuff, of course. Hope you don't mind me bragging about you!

Maybe I should tried harder! Yours look FAB!

And, thank you thank you, for posting a photo of an overlapping cuff!
This is the FIRST real closeup of it! I wish I'd had a photo when I was tinkering with my cuff!

I wish the designer had given more attention to the cuff directions, and included a real photo. She included enough photos of the BACK to last me a lifetime! I needed more photo ops of the cuffs, and increases within the sleeve... so I'd know how they were supposed to appear! This kind of decreasing on seed stitch in-the-round on each side of a stitch marker isn't exactly what I do every day! Those M1R and M1L increases. I tried them, and scrapped them. They were entirely too visible and a disturbance within the field of seed stitch. At least IMHO. A better knitter might have figured it out!

I finally worked an increase exactly on each stitch on the side of the stitch marker. I didn't increase 1, slip marker, knit one, increase 1.
I increased 1, slipped marker, increased 1. No spaces. Two increases worked back to back on each side of the stitch marker.
Nothin' fancy. No trying to purl1f&b. Just plain k1f&b for each no matter what the stitches were on each side of the marker.

I did the plain ole kfb, or as it's also called > the k1f&b:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I like the results:

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 02-03-2009 at 07:42 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
AnnaElch (02-16-2009), evona (02-04-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #103
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Anna~

I knit a Cocoon swatch, using US11/8mm needles.
I cast on an exact 12 stitches and knit 20 rows in seed stitch.

Here are the results:

Perfect stitch gauge, as you stated!

Row gauge is off, as you stated.

Here is the swatch, held up:

Is this what bothered you about your swatch? The holes?

And held up to the window in my office:

Here is a photo of the red model SYLVI, as seen in the PDF pattern. As you can see, the seed stitch is also loose-ish. I'll bet we'd see a lot of daylight if we held it up to the window! And I have read that is normal.

SYLVI pattern stitch isn't a tight and dense seed stitch.
Actually, a yarn that delivers a real dense seed stitch might also weigh a lot more, and this coat already weighs itself down when worn.

I think we have a WINNER with Cocoon!
Afterall, we will be wearing the SYLVI, we won't be holding it up to the window!

Artlady at Rav
AnnaElch (02-16-2009), slugmom (02-04-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #104
laikabear
Turning the Heel

First of all, is it okay to work the sleeve using a larger circ and Magic Loop instead of 2 circs?

I'm still struggling with stitching the cuff, so it doesn't matter yet. I can't believe there's no photo! I'd never have figured it out on my own. Yours looks great Kithic (sp?)! The cuffs diagram that Tikru posted was a little helpful but if you are stitching the cast on edge (on the bottom) to a point about 1" below the bind off edge (which is on the top and overlapping by that 1"), why are you using the tail from the bind off? You are just supposed to be doing one line of seaming across which leaves the outer edge a 1" flap, right? Am I confused??

I was thinking about copying this Raveler's cuffs. She just did seed stitch and turned it up. Uh, I'm still thinking about it. I'm going to give "backstitch" a couple more tries and that's it! http://www.ravelry.com/projects/marymealittle/sylvi To do the turned up seed stitch cuffs would you just cast on a few extra stitches, join in the round, work a couple inches, then decrease to the 39 you're supposed to have?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #105
laikabear
Turning the Heel

And thanks to Artlady for figuring out how to do the INcreases amidst seed stitch! I was very discouraged when I saw the photo posted by the Raveler who was having trouble. Yours look great though, and you paved the way for us!

I am not 100% decided on which size to make yet. I have about a 35.5" bust. I was thinking I'd do the 38", do you think that will be enough ease? It doesn't get very cold here, so it's not like I'd be wearing a big sweater underneath... Decisions, decisions. I've never made something in pieces before. All my garments have been "try as you go!" I don't want to get finished and realize it's too big or too small!!

OK back to those cuffs. I think I'm going to do them both now if I can get the first one to look okay. Then I can forget about them!

Last edited by laikabear : 02-04-2009 at 08:19 AM.
laikabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #106
laikabear
Turning the Heel

OK, so the way I understood the pattern: finish the knitting for the cuff with Row 2, then bind off on the right side. I bound off by knitting the knits and purling the purls. Then, I overlapped the bindoff edge on top of the cast on edge by about 1", with the right side facing out. This left the yarn tail on the left side. I used the backstitch to stitch down the overlap about 2 stitches below the bindoff edge so there is a little lip there. Here is a cameraphone photo (sorry it's a bit blurry).

The overlap is left over right as you look at the photo, and the K4 edge is at the top of the photo. That would make this the LEFT CUFF, but I thought I followed the instructions for the RIGHT CUFF. Was I supposed to bind off on the wrong side? I guess I can do the next one backwards of the way I did it and still end up with 2 complementary cuffs. But still!

Last edited by laikabear : 02-04-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: to add the photo
laikabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #107
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Maureen~

I think the size 38 (for your tiny frame) will be great. You don't to be 'swimming' in your Sylvi! And because the seed stitch is loosey-goosey, the coat will have a lot of 'give'. I've seen some Sylvi's that are miles too big for the person, and it just makes them look lost! And in some cases, rather dumpy.

Look at this Sylvi! I think her coat is about the same measurement as her bustline, but she looks fabulous in it!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/knits/sylvi

About the cuffs! I was looking at those turned up cuffs just today! Oh how I love them! If I was gonna make the turned up cuffs I would cast on maybe 45 st...seed in the round for 3" (for the sake of argument, let's say that's 15 rounds) then decrease those stitches out over the next 6 rounds as follows: Round 16: decrease 1 st on each side of the marker (43 st); Round 17 no decreases; Round 18: dec 1 st each side of marker (41 st); Round 19 no decreases; Round 20: dec 1 st each side of the marker (39 st); and Rounds 21-30 no decreases. When the cuff is 6" your built-in cuff is done. Now mark the next round as sleeve round #1...and from that round upwards is your sleeve.

When you're done, the first 3" of the cuff will be turned up and tacked into place. The reason to have the first 3" a bit wider is to allow it room to fit over the other part of the cuff, the part that doesn't show.

If you want a 4" turned-up cuff, the same 'principles' apply.
You'd knit a total of 8", decreasing out the 6 extra stithes over 6 rounds at the 4" mark.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/marymealittle/sylvi

Her cuff looks like it is 4-5" when turned up!
Her words: "Sleeve cuffs were increased and folded back..."
I wish she had shared more of her modifications with us!
People really do read our notes. They aren't a waste of time!

Remember this: this turned-up cuff will weigh more, and may pull your sleeve down longer than you allowed for. The cuff that is included in the pattern is lightweight.

YES, magicloop will work just fine for the sleeves in-the-round. I'm not done with my Sleeve#1 re-do. I really should do magicloop for it, however, I have to use ADDI Turbos with this yarn. It is very splitty. My long length Options split the hairs like crazy, and drive me crazy! And that takes time to use a crochet hook to fix a 'split' that is down even one round.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-16-2009 at 04:59 AM.
laikabear (02-04-2009), Sewing Angel (02-04-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #108
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Maureen~ To respond to your post (#106):

Just so long as you have two cuffs that are different...one for the left sleeve and one for the right sleeve.

I made both sleeves reversed. That is to say, when I was knitting the RIGHT SLEEVE, it turned out to be a LEFT SLEEVE, and vice versa.

Here's the rub: I knit with the RIGHT SIDE on the inside.
When I picked up the 39 st beginning at the seamline, and worked those (k1P1) x 4, k1...then seed for the rest of the way around....this 'direction' actually created a LEFT CUFF cuz of its being knit from the inside track!

But that's ok. I did the same routine for the "LEFT SLEEVE", starting at the seamline, I did the (k1P1) x 14, k1 and then seed for the rest of the way. This created a RIGHT SLEEVE.

Sigh.

I read the notes for another SYLVI over at Rav, and she did the same darn thing as me. But, in the end, as long as we repeat the same 'mistake', it's all good!

Don't worry about that 15" tail. If you don't need it, just weave it in for a ways, and nip it off. Use another length of yarn to do your backstitching.

Yes, as I remember, I finished up with a Row 2 for the cuff, and binded off on the next row. She says "repeat these TWO rows til 14" "...so I took her literally. I think if she'd wanted us to end with a Row 1 repeated once more she would have said that specifically. I wish she would have spelled it out better, and not leave us to second-guess her...but...

Writing patterns is no easy task. I knit a zippered sweater jacket for my DH recently, and one of our members here at KH mentioned that if I publish the pattern she'd love to buy it. It is humbling! Knitting something is the easiest part. WRITING OUT the pattern details so that someone else can understand what to do and when...that is just mind boggling. And my pattern was a very simple design. Oy.

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #109
AnnaElch
Casting On

Yes, it was exactly those holes that were bothering me, but if you say it does not look weird or anything, then I'll have a try.

I love working with this yarn, too. The only way I can afford this is because my LYS promised me a refund for some other yarn I had dye lot trouble with. (Same number on the label, still different dye lot )

So, where to start?
AnnaElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #110
Karina
Working the Gusset

Maureen - thanks for the link to the cuffs, I think That is the way I will go.

Artlady - I really love the seed stitch cuffs better than the original. When you do the decreases is there a reason why you only do them in one place over a few rows, instead of on one row and evenly spaced out. never done a cuff before so am just trying to understand how it works.