Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #131
laikabear
Turning the Heel

In sleeve news, I finished Sleeve #1 but I am a little worried that it is too short. Actually when I put it on, it seems like the area that needs more length is the decrease region (because to pull the top all the way to the side of my neck pulls the bindoff area very tight into my armpit). I guess that is one of the problems with not getting the right row gauge.

As you mentioned before, adding rows in this area will mess up the seaming, unless math is done and I figure out how to do corresponding extra rows on the front/ back pieces. For now, what I'm going to do is knit Sleeve 2 in the same manner, and hope for the best. If I go to seam and the armhole depth really is a problem, well, I guess I can figure it out then.

I still haven't decided between buttons and a zipper... Guess I need to get thinking on that before I graduate from the sleeves...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #132
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Dollyce, I am so sorry to hear about the boys. What a difficult spot to be in. Hoping for fast healing and peaceful energy in your house!!
ArtLady1981 (02-07-2009)
Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #133
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Thanks for your well wishes ladies! Blue did ok through the night, wimpering a bit this morning about 4. He laid down on the kitchen floor last night at 5:30pm, and here it is 8am, and he hasn't moved. He's holding his head up now though, and I was able to get his pills down. Gotta get him up soon to go out to lift the old leg.

As for the Sleeves, Maureen...yeah, if the sleeve is too short, the only place to lengthen them is before the BINDOFF 7.

I re-did my entire first sleeve and just finished it last night.
I liked how I did the 2nd sleeve so much better. So I repeated that for the re-do of Sleeve #1.

It would look nicer if you added the extra rows BEFORE the increases. Then, the increases roll right up to the BINDOFF 7 with only a row or two extra.

I'll take a photo of my two sleeves later. I can see that I need to block them cuz I have a bit of wonkiness at the junctions where the 2 circs met. Not bad but it's visible a bit.

I was tweaking the stitches last night a little with my yarn needle and a small crochet hook, then decided to let the blocking do the work for me. I'm gonna lay 'em down later today and mist the tar out of them, and when they're dry they'll prolly be better. In worst case scenario...I can always pull out the full immersion blocking method for the sleeves. The big guns!

I cast on for the LEFT FRONT. Am about on row 16. It's gonna be a long haul...100'n'something rows of seed stitch.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #134
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Well, one good thing about the size S is that there are only 2 increase rows, so the sleeve doesn't change in width that much. So I can probably sneak some extra length in just by ripping back to the bound off sts if I need to.

I thought about it again and I'm not sure if I'll need to or not. The weight of the sleeves will pull them down somewhat. I am going to wait for the seaming step and decide then. I would hate to make them longer now and find out later that they are too long!

I am glad Blue is hanging in there. He's doing the right thing - resting! I don't see many hounds in L.A. (except Basset Hounds, they are everywhere) and I miss that. I used to see a lot of hounds in N.C. (where I am from). I miss hearing that wonderful houndy bark. And they sure have great personalities. My Blue got into so many antics... rattlesnake bite, falling through the ice in a frozen lake and being fished out by the fire dept, terrorizing our house...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #135
mimi
Knitting the Flap

So sorry to hear about your boys, but here's a a suggestion: you could write to Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer, tell him your story, and he may be able to give you some advice, or he may even consider this worthy of his personal attention.

We had two boys, now in doggy heaven, and they always vied for our attention, even to the point where if my husband and I were each scratching a dog, the dogs would be looking over their shoulders to make sure the other dog wasn't getting any more scratching than he was!

Good luck to all of you.

OTN: Cashmere and silk cowl, Baby Heart Blanket.

In my mind: Natural Malabrigo for a jacket,

Queued: Booties and Cap, still trying to find a pattern for my malabrigo jacket.

I am Mimi on ravelry too.
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #136
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for all your well wishes for Blue! He is doing better this evening, he can stand up without our assistance of a blanket under his chest and belly! He even has some stitches on his paws!

He's on anti-inflammatories, amoxicillin and pain meds.
But, like I said, he's watering the plants outside, and moving his XXX okay too!

We are looking for a home for the Saint Bernard. Being just one yr old, and a big beautiful lovable oaf, we think he stands a great chance of a new home. It is hard to place a hound, and Blue came to us as a rescue in the first place!
This is Dani (red collar) and Blue up on the mountain:

They are inseparable:

This is DH and Blue:

Ok, I am way off the subject here! I'm gonna post another post with SYLVI news!

Thanks for your care and concern! I feel better today. Looks like Blue will live.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Marria (02-09-2009)
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #137
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I am remaking the LEFT FRONT (which only got to about 6" due to issues!) When I get my new LEFT FRONT version to the same length as the first version (saved on needles), I will post photos of each...and point out why I re-did it...and how to avoid 2 pitfalls for the FRONTS.

Two very interesting tips! Don't start your LEFT FRONT til you've read my notes and see the comparison photos.

Been distracted today, nursing my injured hound.
Up all night with him, I could hardly see straight today.
Better tonight after a few cat naps.

Artlady at Rav
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #138
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady - sorry to hear about Blue, I hope you find the St Bernard a lovely home soon.

I haven't started my Sylvi yet, My DH has just been made redundant and we are a bit panicked about what is going to happen job wise. feel very unsettled and can't seem to sit down and concentrate enough to start anything. spent 3 hours cleaning and moving furniture around last night.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #139
AnnaElch
Casting On

I am really sorry about what happened with your dogs, and hope you will find a good home for the St Bernard and that Blue will be back on his paws soon.
I had two dogs as well, both in Dog Heaven, they were boy and girl and it was alright. But when my aunt came to visit with her dog, also a boy, there sure was trouble.

I got the sample card from the yarn factory and have ordered an eggplant colored 12-ply, 100% Merino for Sylvi, they promised on the phone to send it on it's way on Monday. I have never ordered from them before so I hope it is alright. It was not at all expensive, which is always nice I will make swatches as soon as it's here.
AnnaElch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnaElch For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (02-08-2009)
Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #140
slugmom
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Thanks for all your well wishes for Blue! He is doing better this evening, he can stand up without our assistance of a blanket under his chest and belly!...

Thanks for your care and concern! I feel better today. Looks like Blue will live.
I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs fighting and Blue being hurt so badly :( Praying he continues to recover well, and that you are able to find a home for the other.

In my Sylvi update - I got the cuffs knit! Maybe. I decided to knit both before moving on to the sleeve portion. But I just made them the way the right sleeve direction said, assuming they were the same, because I was snuggled up with the baby and only had page 1 printed off ... then today, staring at them, I realized maybe they weren't the same? I'm not home now. Does the P5/K3/P2/K4 pattern of the right cuff stay the same on the left sleeve, or does it reverse, so that the bind off is ... uh ...

see, I'm just confused. LOL. I guess if I do a mattress stitch seam and you don't see the flap, it wouldn't matter because I could pick up stitches from the same side of each and the cuffs would be identical. But if I do it as written with the overlapping flap, then the flap would need to point left or right and it would matter both which way the flap goes AND which side the 5P roll is on. right?

Hey, I have another question, related to gauge and yarn. I had to go up to 11's to get gauge, and my Cascade 109 is a *fluffy* "bulky" yarn, not a dense one ... so if I'm not careful when I knit, some of my stitches aren't really tighter, but it's like the yarn twists down / narrows if there's more tension on the "puffiness" of it, and so some of my stitches look smaller. Does that make sense? is that normal? Is there some trick to knitting more evenly? I don't knit *tightly* but apparently the tension of the yarn changes from slack (yarn stays puffy) to tighter (yarn gets pulled and makes smaller stitches)

I don't want this coat to look uneven ... is it just me?

I'm going to go stare at my unseamed cuffs for awhile, since I can't start the sleeves until I read page 2 again, I guess.

imagine some confused and frazzled smilies here, I'm clicking but they're not appearing. LOL.
ArtLady1981 (02-08-2009)