Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #411
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Oh, Evona that is terrible about your friend.

I've been thinking about the pockets. I have a nice knitting reference book (the Big Book of Knitting) but it doesn't have any info about on-seam pockets. So how are we going to do this? Here are the ideas I had...

1. Get some similar but lighter weight yarn and cast on twice as many sts as you want the pocket to be wide and join in the round. Knit a tube as deep as you want the pocket and then bind off with Kitchener stitch to seal the end of the tube. Sew into place on the seam of the coat.

2. Start as above but cast on half as may stitches and don't join. Knit twice as long as you want the pocket to be deep, and cast off. Sew into place and then sew up both side seams.

3. Pick up sts along both sides of where you want the pocket opening - on the front and back. Knit a square as long as you want the pocket to be on both sides and then do Kitchener or 3 needle bind off. Sew up the side seams.

Those were the 3 ways I could think of. I guess if I get a free moment tonight I can google "onseam knitted pocket" and see if there is anything more.

Then the other question is - where am I going to find this yarn, and what st. pattern to use? Stockinette? Seed st?

In flipping through my book, something that might have looked nice is a diagonal slash pocket. That would be just a diagonal opening on the front with the pocket hidden inside, not like the patch pockets we were considering. I am pretty sure those would be difficult to add after the fact, though, since they aren't just on one row. But the diagonal opening (and facing) right in the hip area is a nice accent to the flare at the hips... Something to think about if you haven't made your fronts yet and don't mind making mods...
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
evona (03-20-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #412
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Thanks for those 3 pocket options/ideas, Maureen!

As for the stitch to use: I would use st st. You want to keep the pocket as flat, sleek, thin as possible so that it won't create a bulge from the public side.

I agree with using lighter weight yarn. DK weight, IMO.
It would be kinda wild if a red coat had pink pockets, or acid green, or purple!

Or a white coat with blue/white tweed pocket linings!
Or grey/white tweed!

I thought about making the pockets as squares, seamed in the interior on all three side. Or as rectangles.

But then I was trying to think...squares or rectangles would only lay FLAT and smooth in the EAST-WEST position. Like straight in, horizonally from then pocket side seam, with the 'bottom' seam of the pocket lining lying parallel to the FRONT edge. Know what I mean?

So then I was trying to think: how could we knit a kidney bean shape, with of course one flat side for the opening of the pocket and for seaming to the FRONTS & BACK.

THIS SHAPE:

The link to this website is: In-Seam Pockets.

So, could we replicate that shape with needles and yarn?
Or, could we simply cut out some fabric and sew the pocket together, then hand-sew the mouth of the pocket lining to SYLVI.

I have sewing skills, however, I haven't touched my machine in 7 years. I got a new machine, and never tried to use it once!

I used to sew for all my children (5) for everything. Then in 1999 my sewing machine died, and the store that had the 'part' was out of business. I was so bummed. That sewing machine was like an old pal that died. Anyway, about 3 years after that, HSN.com was featuring a sewing machine that was identical features to my dead machine. (I paid $1000 for my old machine back in 1981. This new machine was only $500! My features were considered top-of-technology back in 1981. But by 2002 these same features are considered ordinary! My, in cruising the sewing machine booths at the State Fair...the top-of-technology sewing machines are now $5000 and up!)
My BabyLoc serger was $500. Now they are $3500!
Shees.

So, I am up-in-the-air about the pockets. I'd rather have knitted pocket linings, but have to figure out how to duplicate that rounded kidney shape. I like how it angles down, too.

Anyone got any ideas? I had some graph paper out two weeks ago, but didn't get too far with any kind of math that worked. Seems like we should darn well be able to knit curved shapes, even if the two pieces per pocket are knitted flat and handsewn around the kidney curves!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #413
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I might prefer sewn fabric pockets for their durability and the tightness of the fabric. BUT... I don't have a sewing machine. And I don't know how to use one at all. I would love to learn, and in fact am quite jealous of your skills! But do I really need a new hobby right now with 60-90 hour workweeks and 12 zillion things I want to knit? Hmmm... I might even buy one and just promise myself that it would only be for "finishing" knit details, but my house is so tiny, I don't know where I'd keep it!

I guess your basic point is that putting in a square knitted pocket in a straight east-west direction would make it awkward to get your hand it. Or if you got it in, you'd be pulling the pocket out of shape towards the more rounded shape...

I don't know how to knit that rounded shape, but we could knit something that was straight lines that increased from the top to the bottom. Like half a pentagon... Here is a really terrible drawing and a pic with my cameraphone (I'm at work). Would that work or am I missing the point of why the pocket should be rounded?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket.JPEG
Views:	219
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	52202  
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #414
laikabear
Turning the Heel

OMG! I checked out that sewing website. It's eerily like KH for sewing!!!!

Now I want to go get a sewing machine! Artlady you are a baaaad influence. First I bought that sale yarn at WEBS for Sylvi and had to get a swift and ball winder... then I got the blocking board... This dang coat is going to cost me $400 by the time I'm done, with that SALE yarn!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #415
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I love the sketch! Yup, that'll do! I can 'see' how we could knit that, bottom to top!

Ya know, fabric pockets can also be hand-sewn. Cut the pieces to size, and take teeny running stitches all around the edges about 1/2" inside the raw edge.

I've got the machine, but I'd still like to try knitted pockets.
I have some off-white alpaca dk yarn that my KH swap partner gave me 2 years ago. Yeah, that's me...always saving yarn for 'just the right thing'.

Thanks for the sketch!

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #416
Kithic
Ribbing the Cuff

Shoo, finally finished the right front! I decided to skip the button holes and will use clasps once I find the perfect ones. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow after I find my lint roller to get all the dog fur off. (We have a white Jack Russell, Tumbleweed) Now it is time to tackle the back- SCARY!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #417
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Congratulations, Heather!!! Perseverance pays!!!
Yes, there are lots of adorable clasps out there!
It will be great!

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #418
Kithic
Ribbing the Cuff

Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #419
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

WOW!!! Wonderful!!! Wonderful!!!

Artlady at Rav