Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #491
nightknitting
Casting On

Well the good news is I finished the back yesterday! woo hoo! and I decided I was going to promptly start on the hood today but I read the instructions to pick up all the stitches on the stitch holder to start the hood, but I wanted to block the pieces separately. I'm trying to figure out how to go about this... can I block all the pieces while they're still on stitch holders or should I bind them off, block them and then pick up stitches -- or knit the hat separately? I'm perplexed!
Any suggestions?
nightknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #492
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Put the live stitches for the BACK on 'waste yarn' and block the BACK; then do the hood afterwards.

The tops of both sleeves, both fronts and the back were all on a long piece of 'other yarn'. Make sure that the yarn is long enough. If it's long enough, you can even tie the two ends together or in a bow.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
nightknitting (04-27-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #493
laikabear
Turning the Heel

My sleeves are still drying after their blocking... I'm anxious to seam and see if I'm going to be going down the Artlady road...

I agree Dollyce is the most patient knitter I know. Her results speak for themselves, though! Maybe she learned that patience raising 4 (isn't that right?) kids!?! Anyone who knows me will tell you that patience is not my strong suit. That is why I love emergency work, it is go, go, go! I've knit a whole 'nother top while waiting for Sylvi to block and dry so I can get on with the finishing!!!

Also, I wanted to say thanks for the link to your friend's Sylvi. It's amazing how many mods people are doing on this pattern. It really seems to inspire people.

I am really sweating over mine (and I'll be literally sweating in this weather with NO AC during the try-ons!!!) because I don't think I have the skills to do the lining thing. I am amazed that all my row gauge calculations mean nothing when GRAVITY is involved. Even with my large frame and large shoulders (I am 5'10"), I could have left the whole thing AS IS and it would have fit fine. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #494
nightknitting
Casting On

Well I've got the back blocked! The good thing is it pretty much came out to the size it should be so there wasn't too much wrangling! I'm using the original B & A yarn so maybe that has something to do with it! While that is drying I'm going to work on my petals. Then I will block the sleeves and fronts and finish with the hood!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #495
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Wonderful, Night! Just wonderful! Love that RED!

Maureen~ Yeah, me too. I'm not sweating SYLVI. Not in a big hurry to finish her up. I can't wear her til Fall anyways. I am going to line the full length of the sleeve (advice from a seamstress over at Rav Group), but I will only line the yokes of FRONTS and BACK.

To line it, I won't touch a sewing machine. I'll lay down the sleeve, lay the lining over it, and cut an outline around the sleeve. Then I'll drizzle in a bit of FRAY CHECK on the edges and leave 'em til dry. This will prevent nuisance raveling on the raw edges of the lining. Then I'll pin and baste the lining to the sleeve, then I'll quilt them together carefully throughout the field of the sleeve. My TESTING proved that the stitching/quilting is invisible cuz of the thickness of the seed stitch. I know it will work out in time for Fall!

Yeah, I'm like you! I've knit, let's see, 3 sweaters for DGD's and 4 Princess Ponchos and 4 Princess Party Purses...all while waiting for Sylvi to block, and fussing around with seaming and finishing and lining! Oy! For a few days or week in there, I was so disgusted with Sylvi, I put her in 'time out' with her nose in the corner!

But I refuse to give up on her!

Yeah, it's kinda like raising 5 children! But, even one child can be a HUGE project, at times UNSOLVABLE! Children can suck the life out of ya! Sylvi has the same power!

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #496
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Oy! For a few days or week in there, I was so disgusted with Sylvi, I put her in 'time out' with her nose in the corner!
This is why I'm leaving Sylvi to my knitting betters. Maybe by the time my toddler DGD is 18, I'll have the skills and the patience.

For those of you making Sylvi:

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #497
evona
Working the Gusset

Hey all - I've been off for a while - I moved houses and had finals and just couldn't think of Sylvi during that time. I am back now though but nowhere near as far along as all of you. Hopefully I can catch up and post a few pics while I'm at it
evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #498
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Welcome back, Evona!

And Nightknitting - your back looks awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
nightknitting (04-30-2009)
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #499
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

We are happy to hear from you, Evona!

Even though some of us are ahead in the knitting, we are not ahead in FINISHING. So, we'll all prolly be wearing our SYLVI's next Fall!

Artlady at Rav
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #500
nightknitting
Casting On

By fall definitely -- but seeing as I gave myself until fall to finish it I'm way ahead of schedule! Back is blocked and dry. Today I will block the fronts and all the flower petals that I finished last night!!