Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #51
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Hi everyone! It's getting close to Feb 1!

Like many of you, I'm trying to finish up other projects so I can focus on Sylvi. I did let myself start swatching. I'm using Cascade 109 and I'm a tight knitter, so I'm getting gauge on 11s. When I washed my swatch, I realized just how stretchy it gets when wet. I could pin it out huge or squish it down tiny. :( I ended up just letting it dry flat without pinning it. The fabric looks a little holier than I was hoping, though. I wanted a nice thick fabric. I think the seed stitch would look better on 10.5s. What to do, what to do?

Well, what I really did was hide the swatch in a drawer and get busy trying to finish my Swallowtail shawl.

Anyway, look at what I found over on Ravelry!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/anNu/sylvi-2 It's a heavily modified Sylvi sweater with the design on the front! People sure are getting inspired by this pattern!

I have been debating long vs. short, zipper vs. buttons, collar vs. hood...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #52
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady - I just wanted to wash the swatch to see if the yarn changed gauge. I was wondering about the holes in the fabric. As Maureen said I to want a nice thick fabric.

Maureen thanks for the link. just love that sweater. I can see my self doing this pattern more than once with all the different modifications it has limitless possibilities.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #53
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by laikabear View Post
Hi everyone! It's getting close to Feb 1!

Like many of you, I'm trying to finish up other projects so I can focus on Sylvi. I did let myself start swatching. I'm using Cascade 109 and I'm a tight knitter, so I'm getting gauge on 11s. When I washed my swatch, I realized just how stretchy it gets when wet. I could pin it out huge or squish it down tiny. :( I ended up just letting it dry flat without pinning it. The fabric looks a little holier than I was hoping, though. I wanted a nice thick fabric. I think the seed stitch would look better on 10.5s. What to do, what to do?

Well, what I really did was hide the swatch in a drawer and get busy trying to finish my Swallowtail shawl.

Anyway, look at what I found over on Ravelry!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/anNu/sylvi-2 It's a heavily modified Sylvi sweater with the design on the front! People sure are getting inspired by this pattern!

I have been debating long vs. short, zipper vs. buttons, collar vs. hood...
Hi Maureen!

Did you know that Ravelry 'Mari' Tikru (who knitted what she's calling SYLVI 2) is the actual designer of SYLVI #1? Yep. That's her! It's nice, however, I much prefer SYLVI #1. I think SYLVI 2 could be very cute on the right body type. Not mine!

I decided NOT to block using the FULL DUNK wash method. I'm going to use the pin and spritz and leave til bone dry method. When it comes time for actually washing the coat...then the secret to re-sizing it to the original size is to first make a pin outline of the dry coat...then when it's wet you can lay it back down within the 'chalk outline'! It will be the perfect size once again! Been there, done that!

I learned this 'pin outline' trick from necessity. One of my favorite designers refuses to give schematics. So, before blocking the pieces, you have to make the pin outline to get the pieces back to the size they supposed to be, cuz sometimes when they're wet they grow enormously.

Yes, you're right...you can squish the pieces into slightly smaller schematics, or let them dry larger, or let them dry according to the schematics! You can do the same thing with the 'pin to the blocking board dry, mist the tar out of them, leave til bone dry' method, too.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #54
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Artlady - I just wanted to wash the swatch to see if the yarn changed gauge. I was wondering about the holes in the fabric. As Maureen said I to want a nice thick fabric.

Maureen thanks for the link. just love that sweater. I can see my self doing this pattern more than once with all the different modifications it has limitless possibilities.
Hi Karina! I think you should wash the swatch and see if you can coax it into a thicker fabric. However, if you knit your coat pieces according to the gauge given (12st=4")...then squishing the pieces into thicker fabric will prolly result in a slightly smaller size. Maybe you could consider making a size larger so allow for the squish factor?

What size did you say you are making, Karina? How far off would the 'size up' be for your bustline and frame?

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #55
Karina
Working the Gusset

I am thinking about making the next to the largest size I think 44 inch, but since doing the gauge swatch am thinking I might go down to 5.5mm needles and do the largest.

i am soaking my swatch and it is giving out a lot of colour. the water turned purple pretty much as soon as the fabric went in the water. Hope that is not a bad sign.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #56
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
i am soaking my swatch and it is giving out a lot of colour. the water turned purple pretty much as soon as the fabric went in the water. Hope that is not a bad sign.
I find alot of GOOD yarn does that, I wouldn't worry too much.

I am using Artlady's pin and spray blocking. I cannot imagine dousing the entire coat in water anyway, what a nightmare!!! This coat is for my daughter but I will recommend she dry clean, I cannot imagine her taking the care required to block and wash.

I was planning to work on this today and tomorrow, but decided to wait til the 1st, I'd much rather be following in Artladys's footsteps than breaking through the ice. So many questions, ALREADY
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
Karina (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #57
Karina
Working the Gusset

After a couple of rinses the water was clear. I think I will wash and block just to get that extra colour out.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #58
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Karina! It is just excess dye coming out. Not to worry. Some yarns retain more excess dye than others. My daughter's leaf green Central Park Hoodie (Tahki Donegal Tweed) bled a lot of green excess dye into the wash and rinse water! I had to do the full bath blocking for it cuz that yarn is so 'hard' and scratchy. The washing and rinsing really softened it up and the stitches 'bloomed' really really nice. It isn't 'soft' like Malabrigo, of course, but it's now 'less scratchy'! That's Donegal Tweed for ya!

GOOD NEWS TO REPORT: My husband's "John's Jacket" is almost done! I'm in the homestretch! I finished the turned down stand-up collar last night, AND got the right side of the zipper stitched in! The left side is pinned, and needs stitching this morning! I think I'll knit some facings for the inside of the zipper... and then tack the pockets into place...and VOILA...done!

SYLVI here I come!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Karina (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #59
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
I went to Kinko's at lunch and had the graphs enlarged to 11 x 17, they will be MUCH easier to wrok with (at least for my old eyes). Unfortunately without thinking ahead I had them laminate the charts.......... I was going to color code them and forgot all about it.

Ideally I should have taken the enlargements home, color coded and taken them back to laminate. I am going to see how difficult they are "as is", I might end up redoing them.
I have a set of BIC Mark-it Permanent markers. I tried one of the pens on some plastic and it did not come off. Maybe these would work over a laminated chart? Just a thought. I like the idea of having the chart laminated personally.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #60
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Here is the collar I made for John's Jacket. It was knit by simply picking up the stitches all around the neckline and back neck edges...and then 1x1 rib for maybe 2.5"...then switch to a larger needle size and do a row of increases...then a couple plain rib rows, then increase row again, then a couple plain rib rows...then bind off when the entire thing is a bit over 5" tall. Turn the collar to the inside and whip stitch into place!

FYI: the purpose of the increase rows is to widen or fan out the collar so that the 'increase top portion' will be easier to whipstitch into place on the inside.

VOILA!

By being 'double'...it stands up nicely. I will do a collar similar to this for SYLVI. Just a nice, pert little standup collar. I could see a collar like this on Sylvi...but not the zipper necessarily. Maybe Celtic clasps? Or self yarn frogs and loops?

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Marria (02-02-2009)