I'm well into shaping sleeve cap, working flat with a RS & WS, working the decreases at each end til ultimately 10 st remain. I'm not working the decreases quite like the pattern says K2T & SSK's. I'm knitting or purling
the 2 together based on what the seed pattern dictates at each end. This is masking/hiding the decreases. I'm working the 'edge stitch' first...then the next two stitches are worked together (1 dec) according the seed pattern. At the end of the row, I work 2 together, then the edge stitch.
Oh, and another thing about my sleeve: because of my short row gauge...(16 rows are supposed to be 4"...my row gauge is 3")...
I am stretching out the decrease rows in the cap. Instead of dec 1 each end every 4th row 8 times more...I'm decreasing every 6th row
7 times more; then the next foll 4th row; then EOR 7 times.
so that my sleeve cap will reach the required length of 12.75" by the time it's down to 10 st left
. I'll have to apply the same rule of decreasing to the FRONT and BACK raglan edges, too. It won't matter for the FRONTS, but adding those 12 extra rows will impact the design work for the BACK cuz the rows aren't plain seed, they are charted rows!
I read over at Rav that some knitters just worked some rows TWO extra times. Like, for example, they worked maybe a chart row 143 as a 'working' row, then row 144 is a 'resting' row (knit the knits, purl the purls as they present themselves)...but then instead of immediately going on the row 145, they did two additional resting rows. Like, to call them a name, they'd be rows 144b & 144c. This just elongated what they had done for Row 143. Anyways, the folks that did this trick were have ROW GAUGE issues, too. Pretty cool 'fix'! I will have to do this as well. No problem.
Photo of my sleeve before 'BIND OFF 7 ST' for the shape sleeve cap:
Photo of the increases on each side of stitch marker (above red line):
I didn't work the increase like the pattern said M1L & M1R.
Forget it. I didn't like how it disrupted the seed pattern.
Here's what I did to each inc 1 st stitch on either side of the stitch marker: I made each stitch (on each side of the stitch marker) into two stitches by using the kfb or pfb increase. Then, when I came back around for the next round, I just purled or knit the 4 st on each side of the marker according the seed sequencing. You can tell that something is going on in the increase area, but it isn't too disruptive to the field of seed. Besides, it will be in the underarm area anyways.
Here is a photo of what I'm intending to do to my cuffs:
I just laid them down on the cuff seamline, but will sew them on later.
Photo of the Papa Button and the Mama Button.
Mama Buttons for cuffs. Papa Buttons for FRONT closures.
I used the Papa Buttons on my 3/4 coat GROVE. Will order more.
They hold the coat shut without coming undone.
This yarn is Malabrigo Merino, but almost same color as SYLVI will be.
I guess you could say I love winter white! This coat is hooded, so my SYLVI definitely doesn't need to be hooded, too.