Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Help with seed stitch in the round
Is there a trick to this? I'm at the very end of my sweater, adding a seed stitch cuff. The first sleeve turned out fine, but I just can't seem to get this one to work. I swear, seed stitch has thus far been the bane of my knitting existence

I thought I was finally able to recognize my stitches, but apparantly not. No matter what I do, I end up with some seed stitches mixed in with others that look like ribbing. It's only 4 itty bitty rows and it's driving me mad. I've ripped them out like a dozen times!

If it helps, I have 24 sts on my needles. My 1st seed stitch row started with a knit stitch, and finished with a purl stitch. Thank you!

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You need an odd number and you can just k1, p1 all the way around as many rounds as you need.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
AngieLanigan (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

but if you are on an even number then you can do k1 p1 for a round then start the next round with p1 k1.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
AngieLanigan (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Thank you! Maybe I'll take it out and add an extra stitch, just to make it simple on myself. I've already ripped it out so many times, once more won't hurt LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
but if you are on an even number then you can do k1 p1 for a round then start the next round with p1 k1.
But that will put 2 p sts together, and on the next round, there will be 2 knits together. It may or may not matter to you, but it breaks up the pattern a little.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

I tore it out again and added a stitch at the beginning, and it worked out perfectly! I must've picked up an extra stitch somewhere on this sleeve, because after looking back at the pattern, I should have had 23 sts when I got to the cuff, not 24. Must be why the first one went so smoothly... I had an odd number of sts to work with. This sweater is done, and it turned out so nice, I'm so excited! It's blocking at the moment. Thanks for your help!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
nanababyhats
Casting On

seed stitch in the round
I am also looking for help. I know that if you are knitting flat that you need an odd number of stitches. When we do our baby hats in the round, we're having problems...I might try doing an even number and see where that get me. Hope someone knowledgable comes to our rescue.
What makes a seed stitch is to purl above a knit. Good luck.
nanababyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

When knitting flat, you can have an even number of sts, you just start with a different st at the beg of the row. When working in the round though, it works a lot better to have an odd number of sts or you're going to end up with 2 purls or 2 knits together at the beg/end of round. Don't worry about 'do I start with k1 p1, or p1, k1' at the beginning of the row/round. Just knit what looks like a purl st and purl what looks like a knit st, whether you're knitting flat or in the round and you end up with seed stitch.