Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Autodidact
Casting On

Frogging and reknitting a stockinette scarf
Like so many, I knitted a scarf in stockinette. Rather than fight with trying to block it, I want to do it over in a ribbed pattern. (That gives me another pattern to learn!) I'm planning to frog it from the top, unravel a few rows at a time, and reknit from there.

Do I need to worry about twisted yarn? It's an aran weight merino/cashmere mix, if that matters.
Autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No, the kinked up yarn will straighten out as you knit it. I often reknit from the end of an almost done project and it knits fine. Then wash when you're done to even out the stitches.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
kaihou
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to kaihou
Wait what? I'm not sure if I understand what you're gonna do.
  • So you knitted and completed a stockinette scarf.
  • You want to take it apart piece by piece.
  • You're reknitting it into a ribbed work.

If you're doing that, isn't that the same thing as completely unraveling your finished stockinette scarf completely and starting all over again?

If I were you, I'd drop the top stitch you wanna make a purl/knit column, frog the entire column, and use a crochet hook to remake it into a different stitch. I did that once after realizing that I didn't like the stockinette stitch on a scarf I made. There's a video somewhere on this site about fixing mistakes without unraveling the work. :D

If I interpreted your post completely wrong, then disregard everything I just said :P
kaihou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, that's exactly what she's doing, unraveling it. But as she reknits the whole thing. And it's much easier to start over again than drop stitches and pick them up in a garter stitch pattern. That would take just as long as reknitting.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
kaihou
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to kaihou
Wait I dunno what I'm saying. You were asking if its gonna twist? What's gonna twist... Iono I'm confused X.X

Well if you're asking if the yarn is gonna kink, then it doesn't matter because they're basically not gonna show. Like suzeeq said before, just washing it will even it out. :D
kaihou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Autodidact
Casting On

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I'm on my way.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Autodidact
Casting On

Originally Posted by kaihou View Post
If I were you, I'd drop the top stitch you wanna make a purl/knit column, frog the entire column, and use a crochet hook to remake it into a different stitch. I did that once after realizing that I didn't like the stockinette stitch on a scarf I made. There's a video somewhere on this site about fixing mistakes without unraveling the work.
What an interesting idea! I tried doing that on a small section, just to see if I could. I don't have that skill yet. I may need to try it someday, but I hope not on a whole column!

And the word I wanted was indeed not "twist" but "kink". The unraveled yarn looks like kinked zigzags, but once it's reknitted it looks okay.

Thanks.