Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Expensive yarn that you have to have...
Obviously I've got the bug really really badly. I can't believe I just did this, but I bought what seems to be the only large lot left in the UK of Louisa Harding Thalia skeins in #8 -- Beauty, which is a mix of gold, plum, pink and tan, with an overall impression of pink. Its a ribbon yarn, and it's really beautiful -- and it's the yarn called for in Kristeen Griffin-Grimes new book, French Girl Knits, in the lace tunic Louisa. I love the pattern, but I specifically fell in love with the yarn.

I agonized for about two hours over whether to buy it or not! I'm don't even know if I'm a good enough knitter to make the tunic yet! i have five jillion needle sets arriving in the mail soon, and I'll still need another one to make this project! And I'll have to figure out how to store it until I decide to try making it! And the finished tunic itself might not even fit in my luggage! LOL!

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who's bought yarn way more expensive than I can actually afford at the moment for a project that I don't know when I'll be good enough at knitting to make...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-20-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I'm a sucker for Malabrigo sock yarn ($18-$20/hank), Alpaca Sox($20/hank), Be Sweet Magic Ball ($30/hank), Shibuiknits Sock ($10/hank), and Tofutsies Sock Yarn ($16/skein). If I had unlimited funds, I'd be buying scores of these yarns. Instead, I buy when on sale and save for a special project. Right now, I use alot of Cascade & KnitPicks yarns.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I'm quite pleasantly surprised at the price you can get nice wool yarns and superwash wool yarns at these days. The Cascade 220 and The Heathers I worked with for the USO hats were suprisingly nice, and I understand that Emu's Superwash is even less expensive and well worth trying out. I still need to get down to I Knit in Waterloo and check that out...although at this point, where I'll put more yarn in my luggage is a complete mystery to me...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh no, you're not the only one. I just ordered two lots of handpaintedyarn.com's Merino Bulky for this and another sweater to be named later. Right now I'm blessing the fact that I can fit into a medium 95% of the time, and a small the other 5%.

I'm drooling over other very very expensive yarns as well. Bad, bad, bad Trish!

However, my experiences with needles (from crap to Options) and 100% Acrylic yarn (Lion Brand, I'm looking at you) have show that - for me - it is *worth* using the good stuff. I enjoy the process so much more, and I'm less likely to get UFOs.

Last edited by TrishL1975 : 01-20-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: More info
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrishL1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Materials...
Hi, Zina!

When I first started painting, 'lo these many years ago, I had the idea that I'd get cheap brushes and cheaper quality paints until I "learned" to paint.

Although it might seem counter-intuitive to start with the good stuff when you're just learning, that's really the only way to go. At least from my perspective of many years creating art of one type or another.

Once I "splurged" and bought some really good quality oil paints and a few awesome brushes, I found that I learned so much more and got such better results with the quality materials that buying the cheapie stuff was the real waste!

If you want to practice a stitch pattern or explore a new technique you're unfamiliar with, by all means use a less expensive yarn (but use your good needles!). Then, when you feel a bit more confident of the pattern or technique and the serious knitting starts, just go for the gusto!

Always start with the best materials you can afford. The yarn you mentioned just looks like something that'll fill your senses and strike creative sparks throughout the project! Glad you went for it!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
globaltraveler (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Oh, thank you thank you, ladies...I was starting to think perhaps I'd lost my mind to knitting.

Ruthie: I'm a terrible snob about fibres and tools, I'm afraid. I've been sewing and crocheting since I was six (my mother claims it was 4), I'm a theatrical costume designer, I've taught machine embroidery software classes, I make beaded jewelry, etc., and in all of them, I've noticed exactly what you've said: no good comes of using poor quality tools, no matter how much of a beginner you are. I also play the violin (I play Irish traditional music), and, let me assure you, giving someone a cheapo violin-shaped-object is only inviting pain for the player and the listener!

I've been so good up to now, though...using much cheaper versions of yarns I liked, etc. I tried to resist this one too, but I just couldn't!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Oh I bought an insane amount of malabrigo, after agonizing over it (I'm one who likes to think through and not just buy intuitively) but for this yarn, it felt so right,... And I couldn't decide on a color, so I just bought a lot. (For about $100 if I remember correctly)

Then, I bought a cone of artfibers tsuki, I just had to... ($33 for 100 g)

And lately I had been drinking a lot of tea and noticed that I didn't have much green tea, (I have a large collection of tea), so I just went online and spent $70 on tea and $30 on shipping.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueygh2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
GinnyG
Instepping Out

SCHAEFER!!!!

ANY SCHAEFER YARN!

I have scads of schaefer with no pattern in mind. I just like to look at it, touch and smell it.

SCHAEFER!!!!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
DQ
Working the Gusset

I got some Noro Cashmere Island which is the most expensive yarn I have bought so far and I am still trying to work up the courage to knit it! I've decided it's best to wait for now until I've lost a little weight...plus I did buy it with birthday money though which makes me feel a little better about waiting.
Jan in CA (01-21-2009), RuthieinMaryland (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
After I graduated from college last summer, I splurged on a skein of Tilli Tomas silk yarn with beads. I had seen it and had my eye on it. After walking across the stage and not falling down, I believed I had earned the right to own that yarn.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post: