Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

tension at row turns
Okay, this is not solving itself, so I guess I'll try asking the experts...

The biggest problem I have with my tension, and it is getting better overall, just not in this problem area, is on straight single point needles at the edges. When I turn the row, even though I'm consciously trying to be careful of my tension at row ends, I often end up with a distressingly large loop on the row below the stitch/row I'm turning.

Of course I can go back and pull the loops through to get the loose yarn pulled up, but I can't keep doing that!

Where exactly do I need to be taking extra care with my tension or even knitting quite tightly in order not to get this huge loop at the edges?

Thanks in advance for any help. Whew, 3:30 am, I'm off to bed! Looking forward to any advice anyone has.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
One method is to slip the first stitch in every row. This helps tighten it up.

I don't usually do this on every project, yet I end up with a nice tight edge by being conscious of how I work the first few stitches of the next row. I keep my working yarn taut and work the first 2 or 3 stitches tightly to snug things up.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (01-19-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I have a fairly loose tension, I've been told, so I think the problem comes when I'm not really paying close, awake attention as I knit a row, specifically thinking about the tension. If I'm thinking about a pattern, or anything else...I get the dreaded loop. Yet I almost always knit the last stitch tightly before turning. Is it the stitch BEFORE the last loop of the previous row that I have to think about? Aargh.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
cftwo
Working the Gusset

When I start a new row, I give an extra tug to the yarn. That has helped a lot with tightening up that loose stitch. It's now pretty much habit.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This is what I do, pull the yarn to tighten up after I've made the first stitch. It pulls up the extra yarn from the last stitch in the row below too. Then knit the next couple sts a little tighter. I never had good results from slipping the first stitch, mine looks looser and messier than just knitting the first one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

Globaltraveler, I snug up the second stitch in each row. That seems to take care of the size of the loop in the first stitch.
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biztec For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Right -- so now I'll try paying specific attention to the last two stitches in each row instead of just the last one, and also I'll try knitting the first stitch of the next row extra tightly as well. I'll let you know how that works -- thanks for all the advice!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Why the last 2? The emphasis should be more on the first few sts of each row which end up being the last stitches of the next row. If you make them a little tighter, the last stitches won't be as loose.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

The problem is the turn -- when I turn the fabric and start the new stitch, I get a loop that wasn't there when I turned the fabric. It does seem to help to do the stitch before the last stitch of the row...now if I can get it to be more automatic...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by biztec View Post
Globaltraveler, I snug up the second stitch in each row. That seems to take care of the size of the loop in the first stitch.
This hint was given on someone's blog, I think it was the Yarn Harlot but maybe not.

Anyway, I've been using it ever since and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Don't tug on the first stitch in the row but on the SECOND, it tightens up the first stitch and make for a lovely edge.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post: