Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
MLML
Casting On

Error in Tatania pattern?
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please be nice!

I was considering trying this pattern (http://www.berroco.com/188/188_tatania.html) for my next project, but I have just discovered that KH has a note here http://www.knittinghelp.com/patterns...omens-sweaters saying there is an error in the pattern. The link to the blog isn't working for me. Can anyone tell me what the error is and, more importantly, how to sort it out? This would be an ambitious project for me anyway (I've only once worked through a pattern before!) I definitely couldn't handle trying to identify and correct errors part way through!

If this information is already somewhere on the site, I apologise. I did search this forum before I posted but didn't find anything. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

ML
MLML is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hi ML and welcome. Don't worry everyone's nice here and no one bites. I promise.

As to your question--

Ah yes, the infamous Tatania. The sweater that caused me more than one gray hair. The error is in the shaping for the neckline. The pattern tells you to decrease while shaping when you should actually increase to get the unusual neck shaping. That's not a hard thing to fix. When you get to the neckline shaping, just do an increase wherever it says to do a decrease.

The thing that's not an error, but is a design flaw (in my opinion) and why I ended up frogging it when I made it, is that the middle panel in the front pulls up. You probably notice how the model's hands are strategically placed in front of that part of the sweater to hide this. When I made this, no amount of blocking fixed it, although I have thought about trying again and using short row shaping somehow. It's a shame, because I really do like the look of the sweater over all.

I don't think the pattern itself is difficult, but you might not be super pleased with the results if you follow it.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
MLML (01-25-2009)
Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Ah, I can see how that would pull up. Nature of ribbing, etc.

Marria, that was my first thought - short rows. Since you're not trying to get a curve, I would think it'd be a simple over and back.... but I'm not the expert you are.

It *is* a pretty neckline, I agree.

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH! I hope you can get that sweater figured out, it is lovely.
Marria is right, ask away. We are a friendly bunch! No one will bite unless you try steal from their yarn stash

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by TrishL1975 View Post
Ah, I can see how that would pull up. Nature of ribbing, etc.

Marria, that was my first thought - short rows. Since you're not trying to get a curve, I would think it'd be a simple over and back.... but I'm not the expert you are.

It *is* a pretty neckline, I agree.
I'm no expert! All I have to do is look at other people's FOs on Ravelry to know that. In fact, I found someone there who did use short-rows on this sweater so I sent her a message to ask her specifically how many she put in.

I will tell you that I've recommended the book Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Rhigetti here before, and this is one of the reasons why. She has a section at the beginning where she talks about really looking at the model photo of a sweater you want to make and paying attention to the way the model is posed. If the model is posed in a weird position or concealing part of the sweater in some way, chances are there is something hinky going on.

Last edited by Marria : 01-24-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot one 't'
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
MLML
Casting On

Marria, thanks for the explanation of the error. I'm even more grateful, though, for the heads-up re the flaw in the design - that would have been REALLY disheartening on my first project of this scale. Your tip about watching out for odd poses is SO true. I'm OK at spotting the cases where they've apparently had to have the garment modeled by a contortionist to give the impression that it has some sort of shape, but I didn't spot the strategically placed hands here. The trouble, I suppose, is that models almost always strike odd poses (though you could argue that's because they are almost always hiding something!).

Anyway, I think I'd better abandon this idea and keep looking for a suitable pattern. Maybe when I'm (much) more confident, I might be able to incorporate the neckline, at least, into a different pattern.

Holly - thanks! (Mental note - cyber-hands off Holly's yarn stash. Goddit.)

ML
Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Marria
Working the Gusset

ML--if you haven't signed up for a Ravelry invite, you should think about doing it. I really like it for being able to queue projects and keep track of stuff, and for all the free patterns. But I think the coolest thing about it is that for most patterns (except really obscure ones), you can see other people's projects and see them model them. So you get to see what a sweater looks like on a variety of body types, not just skinny models. I've changed my mind and decided not to make sweaters based on that, but also, changed my mind when I realized a sweater would look better on me than I thought.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

ML, if you're worried about how tough something is going to be, have you thought of looking for easier-type patterns and looking for something you like?

My first "big" project (temporarily set aside for a couple days to make a smaller one for my mom) is a top-down raglan. I was amazed at how easy it is (I'm almost halfway done) and there's no seaming, no setting in the shoulders or attaching the front and back pieces. They're very popular patterns because they're not totally frustrating for beginners, and a quick easy knit for pros.

And Ravelry, yes!! Amazing number of patterns, pictures, lots of people willing to help (Although I LOVE this community) - my project list quadrupled - now I have to figure out how to fit it all in my suitcase when I leave the country for a few months....

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
MLML
Casting On

I'm hearing good things about ravelry! I requested an invite a couple of days ago, so I should be able to have a proper look at the site soon.

Trish, I was fairly confident, looking through the pattern, that it wasn't going to be totally beyond me. My worry (for the most part) isn't about the different stitches (though there are some exceptions!) so much as about following a long pattern correctly and keeping my tension even enough that the separate parts are actually the same length when I try to join them together! Basically, I know that whenever I embark on a major project - like a jersey etc. - for the first time, it's going to be a big leap (of faith, if nothing else). I'm not really going to know whether I'm ready or not until I try, but I would like to try soon. I knew, though, that it would be really stupid, under the circumstances, to use a pattern that I had been warned contained some undisclosed error - hence my question on this forum.

Having said all that, I should add that my final decision on what my next project will be is going to wait until my current one is finished - I am knitting myself a balaclava (not exactly impressive, I know, but it's my first attempt at (a) following a proper pattern and (b) knitting in the round, so it's quite a big deal for me. If that goes horribly long (eye-hole wobbly-edged or in the middle of my forehead/whole thing too small to fit over my head, etc.) then I'll accept that I'm being over ambitious and go back to little sample squares for a while.

I do, thankfully, have my Mum close at hand to call on if I really get in trouble, which is a good, good thing!

Thanks to both of you for your help.

ML
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hey a balaclava ain't exactly a walk in the park for a brand new knitter!

One thing I learned fairly early on when I first started knitting more complicated projects is to keep lots and lots of notes. My notebook contains a copy of the pattern, what needle size I ended up using to get gauge, what the name of the yarn is, etc. I also keep track of things like rows I increased on, how many rows I have in a piece of the sweater etc.

For example, on a sleeve, if I start my increase on row 16 and then every fourth row for so many repeats, etc., I write down every row I did an increase on and what kind of increase I used, so my sleeves will match later.

For the back of a sweater, if the pattern says to work even for 16 inches for example, I will write down what row I ended on to get the 16 inches so I can make the front piece match.

It takes preparation and some extra work, but I think it really helps to save my sanity on a knitting project, especially if I end up putting it aside for awhile.

ETA: I forgot to put in--when you get your Rav account, please feel free to add me to your friends! I'm Marriah there.