Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

newbie with a question about a needles store
Hi, all! I've been lurking for some time but finally decided to join up because I'm a VERY novice knitter and could really use some help (only learned the knit, purl, and cast on and cast off so far and have made nothing but scarves but I hope to make some progress soon!)

Anyway, my question is this: has anyone heard of/bought from this seller of bamboo needles?

http://www.8season-knitting.com/

I was thinking of buying from them because their prices are so cheap but I'm a little wary of buying online from sellers I don't know anything about. And it's complicated because even though their seller ratings are so good, they're in China so it won't be as easy buying or returning if I have to. And with the prices that low, I'm a little worried about the quality of their needles. But with them I can get 3 sets of needles, about 15 pairs per set, for about $45, s/h included. Yes, really. It almost sounds too good to be true. I emailed the seller and she seems nice enough and I'm really tempted. Only big concern of mine is that the needles won't be good quality and I have to put in my payment info online (which I've done before but only with Amazon).

Anyone use this seller before or know anything about them? I figured if anyone would, it would be someone here. Thanks in advance.

Btw, that knitting smilie is so cute!
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cresmoon For This Useful Post:
megan734 (01-26-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
katknit
1st Leg of the Journey

I haven't used that site, but I've been knitting for a long time, and in my experience, cheap bamboo needles aren't very good. I'm partial to Clovers, myself.

katknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Marria
Working the Gusset

I've never heard of them, but if you are worried about the seller being overseas, Amazon has excellent prices on a variety of bamboo needles. They aren't quite as cheap, but still very reasonably priced:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...eedles&x=0&y=0

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
mountgigantic
Casting On

i actually just placed an order for a set through their etsy store.
i'm thinking they won't be the best quality, but i'm still learning DPN's and just want to see which sizes i like best.

shipping is going to take a while, but i will try to remember to post what i find out.
mountgigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I know about the needles at Amazon. They're in my cart if I decide to go with them. But these look so inexpensive, I just had to ask about them first.

mountgigantic, what's an etsy store and can you provide a link to it please? (shows you how little I know). Anything you can tell me about your experience with them will be great, thanks.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Go to etsy.com and search.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
losnana
Working the Gusset

If you're concerned about giving your financial info to a strange company, you can use Paypal, even if that company doesn't accept PayPal. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vdc-hub Paypal generates a one use card and charges you by whatever means you have listed with Paypal. I've used it numerous times with great success. Means your information is out there to one site.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

I bought from them on eBay. Their prices were so good that I now have all sizes in, DPN'S Circulars, and straight needles.

I know you get what you pay for, but I haven't had a problem with them. I'm a fairly new knitter myself and I only have a small handful of the more pricey needles. I guess if I had been knitting for years I might notice something wrong with cheap bamboo needles. But I don't.

I did just order from KnitPicks and got their interchangeable set and I must say I do like the cable on their set. It's much more pliable then the cheap bamboo needles I have.

I use my cheap bamboo needles all the time and if needed I would order more.

Don't know if this helps. I may be the odd man out here.

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-24-2009)
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Knitpicks cable is more flexible than just about any other needle, brand name or no name. I think Susan Bates has one that's close.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

I just got got some Knitpicks for the first time and I really like them. They are very nice. I have a bunch of Addis, but I've collected those over the years and they are fairly expensive. If they'd had the Knitpicks interchangables when I first started, I'd have definitely gone with those.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote