Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
smoluvs2knit
Casting On

Help! Can you change circular needle sizes mid-project?
I started kntting a hat on circular needles 26" long. The pattern called for 16" long ones, but all I had were the 26" ones. Now the pattern says to join and knit in the round and now I realize my needles are too long to join! Can I transfer what I've knitted onto the correct size needles, and if so how do I do it??? I'm sure you've guessed by now that I am new to knitting, but loving it!
smoluvs2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Sure you can, if you have a needle the right size. Just take your right size needle and use it as your right needle for your next row. It helps if you have at least one more row before your join. OR you can join using your right-sized needle as your right hand needle (knit onto it) by sliding the end that DOESN'T have the working yarn to the working end of your current needle, double it over so that the working yarn is next to your new needle, and start knitting on to that....

I know I'm making this too complicated. One of the experts will be along shortly to make more sense of the hash I made. Me, I'm off to go get a set of DPNs - I'm casting on some wrist-warmers for my mom, and Magic Loop - ooooh, we hates it, Precious. Probably because my cable isn't long enough, and I'm fighting with it.

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
smoluvs2knit
Casting On

Thank you Trish for the quick response. Your answer and directions are perfect! I am so happy now that I didn't knit the last row before joining because now I will do what you said and knit with the new needles on that last row. Too bad I live in such a small little town high in the Sierra's of California (it's dumping snow right now!) and have to order the new needles through the mail. Oh well, have other projects I need to work on today...like cleaning out the pantry-yuck! Question (silly one, but hey I'm new!)- what is a "set of DPNs" and "Magic Loop"?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Double-pointed needles = needles with the points at both ends, for making socks, smaller circular knitting, cable needles, or other assorted usefulnesses

Magic Loop = using a circular needle with a long enough cable that you can pull the cable out between two of your stitches and make a smaller circumference tube of knitting than you normally would with a circ set that large. There's a video (I think under Advanced Tips -- it's really quite easy once you've got your head around it, which usually takes people 5-10 minutes, if that long) if you want to try it.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
smoluvs2knit
Casting On

Thank you Zina for the reply. I love this website- everyone is so helpful! I just watched the video on Magic Loop knitting and went to buy new needles at KnitPicks and saw what DPN's are, which I even have a set of! I could sit here all day reading and learning new stuff, but seriously have to get moving. Thanks again for the reply-Sharon
Old 01-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can still use the 26" needles and knit in the round using a variation of ML - Modified Magic Loop
I use this way to knit hats on a 24".

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
smoluvs2knit (01-25-2009), TrishL1975 (01-25-2009)
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Suuuure, this *had* to come up *after* I went to two stores to find a set of size 5 DPNs.

Basic Socks in Chili

Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Don't rush off so fast next time...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Actually, with only 45 stitches in the round, I would have a tougher time if I didn't have the structure and shorter side length of the DPNs. And I got bamboo, so that's making it easier.

I *will* post a pic of these when I'm done - if Zina doesn't beat me to it. "Newbie makes cabled fingerless gloves!" If DH were here, I'd have him take pictures during the cable rows - 4 needles and a cable needle - I run out of fingers.

Basic Socks in Chili

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Kcat
Casting On

Circular needles
Not sure I'm following this. If knitting in the round and making SHAWL and need 32" instead of what i used, 24", can't I just start at the end of a row knitting with the correct size? One of these days I hope to comprehend these mysterious circle needles.
Kcat is offline   Reply With Quote