Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Dare I say the dreaded 'S'/'B' word?!
Hey All,
This is just a quickie -I just want to check with those who use both wooden and aluminium needles.

Wooden: With the smaller sizes, have you ever known them to snap (the dreaded 's' word!) when put in a bag?

Aluminium: Have your needles ever bent (the dreaded 'b' word), during/after you have worked with them?

~*Phoenix*~
PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I have used some thin bamboo straights without a problem. I always use aluminum dpns for my sock knitting and a couple are now bent but I still use them without a problem.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

No, and no. But I know it's a possibility on the wood. I've never heard of too many people bending needles. Not knitting, anyway.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I've had bamboo needles bend or warp, but not snap. I think my mom has had bamboo dpns break on her, but it's not a frequent occurence.

The only time I saw aluminum needles bend was when my little sister ran into one with her head. Her head was fine, but the needle was pretty much useless.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Marria
Working the Gusset

Never used wooden needles, so I can't help you there. I have had my bamboo needles warp after a time, but it never rendered them unusuable.

I have accidentally bent aluminum needles myself, but that was more me being dumb than the project causing it. Also, I have a lot of pairs of Boye aluminum straights that I still use from time to time. I used to use them all the time, though, and on some of them, the paint wore of the tips and they got a rough edge.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I've had aluminum needles bend on me after years of use. Especially when I used to used them for heavy things like sweaters and afghans. They still work just fine though. I also had some plastic ones that really bent, I think maybe from the heat my hands on the plastic and again, heavy projects.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
sorifes
1st Leg of the Journey

I have broken the bamboo ones. BUT it's because I was knitting thick yarn on size four needles. I was making mittens so it was necessary to make them uber warm. Anyhow...I was in the middle of the row and SNAP. Therefore, I no longer use wooden needles

The only metal needles I've ever had bent on me are the Boye ones that are smaller. My Susan Bates an Addi Turbo's have never bent. I do have some plastic needles and they bend while I knit but they always go back into shape.
sorifes is offline   Reply With Quote