Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Thestrel
Casting On

Hi I'm New & KnitPicks Options Question
Hi all! I'm new, well, to posting, been lurking for a few months now. I've only been knitting for a couple months (other than a few momentary attempts in the past that...were less than spectacular). Mostly dishcloths and dishtowels...though I do have the yarn to do Calorimetry! I'm a SAHM to 2 girls and live in Eastern Canada. I'm also on Ravelry under the same name.

Now to my question. I'd like to get the KnitPicks Options interchangable circulars. Figure the is a hobby I'm not soon giving up, so may as well get something nice! However, I don't have the money for the whole set right now and was going to get some cables and a couple tips for now. What would be a good starting length (or 2) for cables and a couple good starting tip sizes? Will probably be using them for straight knitting and I'd like to give hats a try.

Thestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Try the set with the three tips and the cables, plus a plastic wallet to keep it in. It's a lot less expensive, and you get a start. Otherwise, my two cents is, if you buy them separately, the most common sizes that I have used are 4.5mm/US 7, 5.0mm/US 8, and 9.0mm/US 11, since I've done mainly scarves, mohair, and bulky. I'd personally get 2 of the shortest cables and 2 of the longest. (To be able to do smaller items like hats and sleeves, and Magic Loop for even smaller items.)

Your own mileage, of course, may vary.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
In addition to what Zina said, they also have a new 7mm needle if you use that size a lot which I do.

I don't know about a set with three tips and cables though, I don't recall seeing that, will have to look again.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Thestrel
Casting On

Originally Posted by globaltraveler View Post
Try the set with the three tips and the cables, plus a plastic wallet to keep it in. It's a lot less expensive, and you get a start. .
I haven't seen the set with 3 tips and cables. I've looked for it and don't seem to see it? I may be a bit slow though.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

No advice on the needles, but welcome from a fellow Maritimer! (just outside of Saint John, NB)

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I'd analyze what types of yarns you are currently knitting with. Newbie knitters tend to start out with medium to larger sized needles. Buy some needle tips in the sizes you are currently using along with cords to match the projects.

Don't waste your money on their plastic bag. I bought those plastic zipper pouches for pencils (I got them for $0.20 USD each) and popped 'em into a binder pretty cheaply. As you can see I use them for all of my knitting needles, crochet hooks, notions and patterns. I organize each pouch by needle size. I put all of my binders on a shelf - so much handier.

Just buy supplies as you intend to use them. That way you ensure you aren't buying things you don't need or aren't ready for. Welcome!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting 014.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	51736  Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting 015.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	51737  

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-29-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Thestrel
Casting On

Originally Posted by AngieLanigan View Post
No advice on the needles, but welcome from a fellow Maritimer! (just outside of Saint John, NB)
Thank you! *waves from "the french fry capital of the world" in NB*
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by Thestrel View Post
I haven't seen the set with 3 tips and cables. I've looked for it and don't seem to see it? I may be a bit slow though.
I looked at the site again and there aren't any. You either buy the whole set of 9 needles or individual ones.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Looks like it's only available over here then? How weird.

Anyway, I didn't mean to BUY the plastic bag. The sets come in a wallet already. I haven't taken mine out of it because I'm traveling. (I like the clear bags. You can see what's in them easily, and there's enough room for a set of sock dpns, circular needles, crochet hooks, notions, etc.)

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

I wondered if you meant in the UK. They're not available at their site, though I might buy a small set like that. I really have no use for size 4 needles. I'd prefer size 8, 9 and 10.