Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

HELP ME!!!
Hey all,
I have tried a lace pattern, but without much success. I have done exactly as it has said but I have gained another stitch somehow and I think the piece looks a mess with a capital FROG!
Luckily I have done a test piece first (purling, wrapping over, decreasing mid work and following a pattern is new for me). I have taken a picture of both the front of the piece and the reverse of the piece. (ending in 435 is reverse picture). This sample shows a small needle size and a large needle size. Its on my Brittany wooden one! (Gorgeous to work with btw!)
~*Phoenix*~
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1052479-700px.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	51587  Click image for larger version

Name:	S1052485-700px.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	51588  
PHOENIXMOON is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Lace often has rows with different numbers of stitches because they increase and decrease so much. Are you sure that isn't what is going on? If it's not and you actually do have an extra stitch the most common cause is not moving the yarn to the back after a purl so it creates a yarn over (YO).

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
You're having a problem with your yarn overs. The part of your pattern that reads (YO, K1) 6 times means:

you have your yarn in the back as if to knit. Bring it to the front (between the needles) then over the top of your right needle so it is now facing the back again. Then, leaving the yarn wrapped over the top of your right needle, knit the next stitch. This will create a new stitch. Do that same thing 5 more times.

When you knit your way back across that row (or purl back? I can't remember the instructions for your next row)- you will knit or purl that stitch just like you do all the others. This will create intentional holes in your knitting- one hole for each yarn over. The decreases (k2tog) compensate for the stitches added with each YO, keeping your stitch count constant.

There are videos on this site for both YO and K2TOG- go to the Glossary tab and scroll down till you find each one.

Hope all this helps- but let us know if you need more help!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think, according to her other thread here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=87498 - that it's a F&F pattern, so the stitch count would stay the same. On that pattern, it's real easy to get an extra YO or skip a 2ktog.

Phoenix, it doesn't really look like you're doing YOs in your piece. Maybe the gauge is too small to show it in your pictures. Try the pattern again... the first 2 and last 2 sts are always knit, then after that:

"(K2Tog) 3 times, (YO,K1) 6 times, (K2Tog) 3 times, k2."

After the edge sts, k2tog, k2tog, k2tog, this leaves 3 sts, plus 2 edge sts. Do a YO (wrap the yarn around the needle) and k1, YO, k1, YO, k1, YO, k1
, YO, k1, YO, k1 and stop. There will be 15 sts now plus the first 2 edge sts. Then, k2tog, k2tog, k2tog and finish with k2 edge sts. You should still have 22 sts. Then on the next row, knit or purl the YO loops like a stitch, don't drop them off the needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey All,
Thankyou all for your helpful posts.
Abbily -I think thats my problem too. I shall follow your advice and perhaps do another sample thing (?swatch). Thankyou for making your instructions in very simple words.

Suzeeq -I think that the pattern is a fan and feather, (or maybe feather and fan...). I shall try to do a 'wrap around the needle' like Abbily suggested.

I also think that I have a problem regarding changing from knit to purl. I feel it looks very messy and looks like it is a knot, rather than nice stitches. Any thoughts/tips?
~*Phoenix*~
Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Abbily
Instepping Out

Yes, your pattern is feather and fan (also sometimes called old shale, I think). Regarding changing from knit to purl- make sure you are moving the yarn *between* the needles. Other than that, it's just a matter of practice. Tension tends to be pretty wonky until you get some practice and your movements get smoother. Stick with it, it will come.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey All,
Abbily -Thankyou! I was doing it outside the needles! That is probably the problem! I shall give it a go.
~*Phoenix*~
Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

No problem! Let us know how you get on.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't know how you would be having a problem switching between knit and purl sts on the pattern row. Unless you mean on the WS rows, which are knit 2, and purl to the last 2 sts and knit the,?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
PHOENIXMOON
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey All,
Suzeeq -I had messed up the basic move of putting the yarn BETWEEN the needles prior to putting the needle in. I was putting the yarn behind the right needle prior to commencing the stitch. I think it looks better!

Another thankyou to Abbily -it works! It really works! I should post some more pictures of my knitting swatch/tester-thing soon. I have been trying Abbily's method of switching from knit to purl (between the needles) and a new lace design.
~*Phoenix*~